Parking style and suspension wear

DJ_AS

While watching peeps parking at work this morning I remembered something my (very) old Dad told me when I was learning to drive. He told me to always straighten the wheels when leaving the car parked as leaving the wheels 'turned' would strain the steering and suspension system.

Is there any truth in that? I would assume that it shouldn't make a difference.

While watching peeps parking at work this morning I remembered something my (very) old Dad told me when I was learning to drive. He told me to always straighten the wheels when leaving the car parked as leaving the wheels 'turned' would strain the steering and suspension system.

Is there any truth in that? I would assume that it shouldn't make a difference.

All suspension/ steering components are load bearing so static weight is not an issue whatever the lock... When parking on curbs simple common sense regarding speed with preserve all.. (I think) But additionally i am not a mechanical engineer so i would not totally dismiss wise words graduated.gif

What about the surface you park on? does that effect your tyres?

I was wondering if gravel is a bad surface to park on? as it is not flat so there isnt total contact over the contact patch, so surely there is more weight transfered per sq inch of tyre if only half the tyre contact patch is actually transfering the cars weight to the floor rather than the full contact patch. Can this damage the tyre or a sharp piece of gravel "cut" the tread?

i never park with my front wheel on lock!

it can cause damage, someone i know parked on full lock and a dust car hit the pokey out wheel... loads of damage

I hate people who do that, don't take much to straighten the wheels up does it!!

I never liked to park with just 2 wheels on the curb as i was worried about my suspension / chassis twisting.

Don't have a choice anymore graduated.gif

Two wheels on the curb should be fine... I did jack the nsr of an old 911 then opened the passenger door to get the locking wheel key out of the glove box and the windscreen shattered ;) i had to pay for the replacement out of my bonus.

I never liked to park with just 2 wheels on the curb as i was worried about my suspension / chassis twisting.

Don't have a choice anymore ;)

Two wheels on the curb should be fine... I did jack the nsr of an old 911 then opened the passenger door to get the locking wheel key out of the glove box and the windscreen shattered :o i had to pay for the replacement out of my bonus.

That's a true "doh" moment. Fortunately the SW20 is a bit better otherwise i'd have been through quite a few screens graduated.gif

Don't have a choice anymore :o

Two wheels on the curb should be fine... I did jack the nsr of an old 911 then opened the passenger door to get the locking wheel key out of the glove box and the windscreen shattered :o i had to pay for the replacement out of my bonus.

That's a true "doh" moment. Fortunately the SW20 is a bit better otherwise i'd have been through quite a few screens ;)

That's my point... Parking positions within reason should be pain free to the chassis/ tyres... Additional stresses albeit suspension or tyres should fall well within normal operating parameters for a modern car...... ...... ..... Poxy old 911 graduated.gif

yey..

old allegro's (all agro's) used to pop out back windows when the back was jacked up on one side only

How about the Citreon's laying down for bed whenever you get out ;) I thought Hydroelastic suspension was something Grandma wore :D Is this a French way of saying when at rest "drop to your knees"..... :(