Summer and Winter Tyres on the same rim?

Rich

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Big thanks to Pete and Joe for fitting the tyres today :D Looking forward to seeing what winter tyres are like :)

Photos..? :rolleyes: Im looking to get some winter tyres just cant afford them atm...

Tony what price are winter tyres like ER`s for my Vectra..? 195/65/"15" x4

gives me an idea how much i need to spend. :)

Big thanks to Pete and Joe for fitting the tyres today :) Looking forward to seeing what winter tyres are like :)

Photos..? :D Im looking to get some winter tyres just cant afford them atm...

Will check in the morn :rolleyes:

No photos yet Daz, will get some soon :rolleyes:

Tony, how can I store these tyres. If I can make the space I'm hoping to get winter tyres for mine as well so I will have 8 in total to fit in the cupboard. If I have rims for them I'll let the air out as well. Can I stack them on top of each other though with regular rotation or stand them all upright like you keep them at WIM in the racking?

Big thanks to Pete and Joe for fitting the tyres today :) Looking forward to seeing what winter tyres are like :)

Photos..? :D Im looking to get some winter tyres just cant afford them atm...

Will check in the morn :rolleyes:

Thank u. :)

Tony, how can I store these tyres. If I can make the space I'm hoping to get winter tyres for mine as well so I will have 8 in total to fit in the cupboard. If I have rims for them I'll let the air out as well. Can I stack them on top of each other though with regular rotation or stand them all upright like you keep them at WIM in the racking?

Bump...

Currently got the 2 you took off the other day standing upright until I can clear the cupboard some more!! -_-

• 1 month later...

its strange, despite the need to scrub them in, i was exactly the same and found that the tyres were immediatly a world apart from the all seasons that were on there before. Now im 1000 miles on, im actually even more imprssed tat i was in the beginning....... cant wait till the snow comes down.

will be interesting to hear each persons review of their chosen winter tyres once the snow comes

To be fair every corner had a different brand of tyre and they were all close to the limit as well. The Goodyear seem to have alot more grip than when we first got the Dunlop but that could be cos it was still fairly warm then compared to now.

will be interesting to hear each persons review of their chosen winter tyres once the snow comes

I run Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme on my BMW 330d, put them back on this week, as the temperatures have dropped.

Last winter they did everything thrown at them. I ran a few tests myself, (winter and summer wheel sets), on the same day, on our lane covered with solid ice and thin snow topping. Difference like night and day. Braking was most impressive. Also used it regularly, on thick fresh snow, ice, slush, up hills, forward and reverse up slopes. No issues with braking or car control, oh... and traction grip.

I had a car go out of control in front of me on black ice, and I had to brake mid corner, (worst case scenario for a winter tyre test) saved me ditching the car. Although I had a little bit of slip, was able to easily keep the car under control. Came back later to see another car had ditched on the same bend and had ended up in the tress. That could have been me.

Only slight negative, deep standing water to the verge edges is common up here, the Vred's tend to aquaplane more easily than my summer tyre set.

HighlandPete

That's a great review mate, the more I read them the more I want it to snow now!! :hmmph02: How steep a hill did you try though cos if the main roads to work are closed I was going to try the country lanes but there is a very steep hill on the way?!! :D

It was very cold this morning, screens were frosty and the temperature was reading 0 in the car. I tested the tyres on a couple of empty roundabouts for grip and they feel very sticky. At no point did I feel like the car was going to lose grip and they haven't even scrubbed in yet! :)

That's a great review mate, the more I read them the more I want it to snow now!! :lol: How steep a hill did you try though cos if the main roads to work are closed I was going to try the country lanes but there is a very steep hill on the way?!! :lol:

I've had to use my car on a steep and S curved drive, 200 metres or so in length. A lead in off the main road, with a start from walking speed. 1 in 5 I'd gress, in the curved section. That tests all the working parameters, both going up and even worse, coming down. Nothing with summer tyres will touch it, if covered with snow, needs winter tyres, or AWD.

Plus I've used my car on other snow covered sloping sections with no speed to start with, and no issues with just moving off and doing what was needed.

Running normal roads through the Glen, absolute confidence and when out there on my own, with no other traffic, you can drive with total control at reasonable speeds, much faster than you'd dare even think off with the wrong tyres. It is other cars I worry about more, as they are the ones giving you issues.

HighlandPete

What advise would you give for anyone driving in the snow in a car with a automatic gearbox.???

Its my first time and dont want to ruin the clutch or the gearbox....It does have a small button which is for the snow but next to useless i guess..

P.s its not the corsa in my avatar...its a Vauxhall Vectra Yreg 2001