BMW run-flat tyres

Tony

I think there is

post-2-1316198577.jpg

Once again a BMW 3 series on RFT's, geo is as suggested by BMW and yet this tyre wear. They claim neglecting tyre pressures is a reason for the tyre wear and yet the cars have pressure monitors :D

I've said it before and i'll shout it again now.... The RFT' tyre cannot deform to the BMW 3 series sport camber positions "FACT".

I think there is

post-2-1316198577.jpg

Once again a BMW 3 series on RFT's, geo is as suggested by BMW and yet this tyre wear. They claim neglecting tyre pressures is a reason for the tyre wear and yet the cars have pressure monitors :whistle:

I've said it before and i'll shout it again now.... The RFT' tyre cannot deform to the BMW 3 series sport camber positions "FACT".

Lots of tread left there too. Not taken long to do that!

As I understand it legal tread needs to cover at least 2/3's of the tyre? So they would still be legal?

Interesting.

How often do you see this?

all the time.

I think there is

post-2-1316198577.jpg

Once again a BMW 3 series on RFT's, geo is as suggested by BMW and yet this tyre wear. They claim neglecting tyre pressures is a reason for the tyre wear and yet the cars have pressure monitors :whistle:

Lots of tread left there too. Not taken long to do that!

As I understand it legal tread needs to cover at least 2/3's of the tyre? So they would still be legal?

Probably as there's no cord showing but they would have made an apearance soon enough plus the carcas has clealy collapsed.

excuse my lack of knowledge but can you help me understand this please.

I know that the RFT has a stiffened side wall with an inner lip to protect the rim If the tyre deflates so it can be driven on.

Since the side wayy is stiffer it cannot deform as much as a normal tyre would / could so this transfers a lot of the load of the car on to the corner between side wall and main face of the tyre....

what i dont understand is how the wear patch can be so thin and so drastic compared to the rest of the trye wear.

So i dont understand that a company like BMW have missed such an issue through the whole R&D and the fact this isnt just an isolated case of 1 or two, its quite wide spread and is destroying hundreds of pounds worth of tyres.

How can they blissfully ignore this issue ?