Tyre distortion.. A very dangerous condition

Tony

A distorted tyre is an indication that the constructive casing has failed..... Very slowly the wire strands that maintain the inner structure snaps. Progressively the internal air pressure favors the weaker area and distorts the casing.... Like this

post-2-1169319791_thumb.jpg

This tyre is from the rear of a car, the tyre is still on the rim and still inflated, so lets read the symptoms before you are in this killer position.

Speed range

Golden rule is that if vibration is felt under 30mph then it's either a distorted tyre or the wheel is about to fall off. Reads laughable but it is factual since over 30mph a distorted tyre is able to skip low/declined areas within the tread area enabling contact only on the high spots belaying vibration... Equally a loose wheel centrifugally centres as speed increases.

Symptoms

A distorted tyre at the front will rock the steering/ arse at the rear side to side aggressively at low speeds, whereas wheel balance is a frequency suppressed by the car until the pules exceeds the chassis absorbent barrier, this is normally 60mph plus.

Why does this happen

Most times the reason is partial penetration from a foreign object cutting the outer casing (tread) This exposes the steel wire strands to the possibility of rust. Through perpetual flexing and internal pressure the wire strands snap

post-2-1169321557_thumb.jpg

This example is extreme but at lower levels a daily occurrence globally. Remember those few millimetres width we call tread are the only part of our glorious cars that touch the road, so by scale the most important!

Intresting as i have never seen a tyre go like that b4.....we learn something every day here :huh:

Scary image i think you will agree! Oddly enough there is a particular tyre manufacturer whose product is susceptible to this condition can anyone suggest who that manufacture is?

That's scary, if I saw one of my tyres like that I'd get it changed asap. I wonder how many people would actually ignore it though! :thumbsup_anim:

At this stage we would all change the tyres.... But the symptoms grow slowly catching people out. In truth i admire the Michelin product for staying together despite the trauma displayed....

And Scorps "cheeky edit" ph34r_anim.gif

And Scorps "cheeky edit" :D

Actually after posting my first guess i thought i'd throw in a few extra, albeit at the same time you replied. :thumbsup_anim:

..........Yeeeeah :D ...... Nice one ph34r_anim.gif i would do the same! I do hope some take heed from this thread, and i bet some think i have "photo-shopped" that image?.... ( i have not it's real ) As a teaser Scorp, since you are a veteran commercial driver can you remember why Michelin suffered "Radial ripples" on the early tubeless tractors.... And in the very early days were unable to pull trailers uphill eh.gif

Tyre slip.

Nahhhhhh. When Michelin introduced the tubeless tyre the lorry drivers complained that the tyres "dragged" uphill :D Seemingly as if the brakes were applied.... After many examples it was noted that on the sidewall of the tractor tyres drive wheels the tyres had spiral ripples. The reason for this was that under extreme loads the tubeless rim would spin within the tyre generating no pulling power ph34r_anim.gif so the rims just span on the spot.... Various methods were attempted, like screwing the wheel to the inner tyre bead.. but the eventual winner was a re-designed bead/rim compliance friction face belaying slip..... Obvious :thumbsup_anim:

The reason for this was that under extreme loads the tubeless rim would spin within the tyre generating no pulling power :thumbsup_anim: so the rims just span on the spot....

Thats what i said....tyre slipping/spinning on the rim.

P.S.....I dont drive tractors ph34r_anim.gif

The reason for this was that under extreme loads the tubeless rim would spin within the tyre generating no pulling power :thumbsup_anim: so the rims just span on the spot....

Thats what i said....tyre slipping/spinning on the rim.

P.S.....I dont drive tractors :D

"Tractor trailers" (Engine/ cargo) tiss the terminology ph34r_anim.gif

Had this happen on a Pug twas near side rear and a Dunlop, was replaced FOC

Saw a tyre exactly like that on a 4x4 Yank Tank motoring down Westheimer Road in Houston today...thought, that's odd I wonder what cause that? Now I know, thanks Tony. graduated.gif

Seen a few like that when I was fitting tyres, saw a few remoulds do similar but then I think they often used Michelin casings.

Remember seeing one remould start to mutate once fitted as they hadn't found the puncture in the case, the air pressure then lifted the tread off the tyre, very strange as the hump started growing out the tyre lol