What camera strap do you use?

Rich

I really need a new strap as the Nikon supplied one is too short for me. I've been looking at the Black Rapid RS7, which looks good wearing it as a sling. My only issue is my camera bag is a sling one as well so it might make it awkward wearing this.

I tend to use the camera when we go on days out rather than walking locally so sometimes can leave the bag in the car, like when we go to Whipsnade. The majority of the time I will need to carry the bag. So can anyone recommend another strap, either a sling or a normal neck type. If I have to I might look for a normal back pack bag instead and sell the sling one, which would probably be better for my back anyway!

I guess you all use the standard straps then?

Haven't used one in decades.

I use a variety of approaches; chest harness; belt bag; or for gentle walks, a sling with a broad shoulder strap.

I find a neck strap very uncomfortable and on rough walking and scrambling the camera is free to swing far too freely.

So something like the RS7 is better. But what about carry a bag while having the camera on a sling, does it get in the way?

What are the ebay sling straps like, the RS7 is £45 but if they're the same as the ebay ones for half the price I might as well get one of those.

So something like the RS7 is better. But what about carry a bag while having the camera on a sling, does it get in the way?

What are the ebay sling straps like, the RS7 is £45 but if they're the same as the ebay ones for half the price I might as well get one of those.

I don't know the RS7 or anything about ebay prices.

You can make an effective single point sling with an ordinary buckled, one inch wide, webbing strap from a walking kit shop. a slip-on shoulder pad and a small karabiner or dog clip.

I use Manfrotto quick release tripod plates on the base of each of my cameras and they have a "D" ring that I clip the sling into.

When I'm walking I use an ordinary lightweight day sack to carry my gear, but I don't take a lot - can't carry it - I'm too old and pathetic. A sling works very well with a small rucksack.

There is no such thing as a perfect kit-carrrying set up . Whatever you get you will wish you had something better. Give everything a try before you buy. Every serous photographer I know has several bags (I have five or six and I have sold several) as well as discarded straps etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I came across a clip today at 7dayshop that screws into the tripod socket and lets you use an ordinary camera strap as a sling.

I don't know whether it is any good, but at ₤3.99 including postage, it could be worth a try.

I don't know the RS7 or anything about ebay prices.

You can make an effective single point sling with an ordinary buckled, one inch wide, webbing strap from a walking kit shop. a slip-on shoulder pad and a small karabiner or dog clip.

I use Manfrotto quick release tripod plates on the base of each of my cameras and they have a "D" ring that I clip the sling into.

When I'm walking I use an ordinary lightweight day sack to carry my gear, but I don't take a lot - can't carry it - I'm too old and pathetic. A sling works very well with a small rucksack.

There is no such thing as a perfect kit-carrrying set up . Whatever you get you will wish you had something better. Give everything a try before you buy. Every serous photographer I know has several bags (I have five or six and I have sold several) as well as discarded straps etc.

I forgot about this as I never got the lens I was going to use it with.

I'm abit weary about spending just a few quid on something though. Would you really trust something that cost £3.99 to carry a camera and lens worth £800+? :smile_anim:

I'll take a look though but I do want a longer strap as well cos the Nikon one is far too short.

• 1 month later...

I'm still thinking of getting the RS7 especially has Tescos is still doing 2 x the value for Jessops. For the moment I'm still ok with the standard one as I don't have the 70-300 yet and probably won't for a good while.

• 2 months later...