A question for Tony..

hello there..

I went to the chemix autocentre in halesowen after it was recommended here.. and was very satisfied with the job they did on my alignment :lol:

however, after a day at curborough (spent mostly sideways :thumbsup_anim: ), I have ever since had a reasonably severe vibration through the steering wheel at 60 - 80mph.. and the car pulls ever-so-slightly to the left...

could geometry being pulled out of whack cause this?

I've checked tyres, and had the front wheels balanced, and all is fine in that respect.. and I'm not sure what else it could be..

obviously the 'pull' to the left is likely to be slightly 'off' geometry, but could the vibration through the wheel be this too??

...awaiting your expert advice...

Piers

hello there..

I went to the chemix autocentre in halesowen after it was recommended here.. and was very satisfied with the job they did on my alignment :lol:

however, after a day at curborough (spent mostly sideways :thumbsup_anim: ), I have ever since had a reasonably severe vibration through the steering wheel at 60 - 80mph.. and the car pulls ever-so-slightly to the left...

could geometry being pulled out of whack cause this?

I've checked tyres, and had the front wheels balanced, and all is fine in that respect.. and I'm not sure what else it could be..

obviously the 'pull' to the left is likely to be slightly 'off' geometry, but could the vibration through the wheel be this too??

...awaiting your expert advice...

Piers

I am 99.9% sure the Geometry would not cause the vibration you describe..... The only angle that could do this is the Castor but it would need to be desperately wrong and you would know it!... If the wheels/tyres have been tested and balanced then you can dismiss that as a reason... In view of the severity of the type of track day i would closely check the anti-roll bar drop links and the dampers, both if defective will allow a pull and both if defective would allow vibration.

I would test the trackrods and wheelbearing too. Simply jack the car up, wiggle the wheel left right and up down and feel for play. Like tony said Geo alone can't really cause a bad vibe.

Also, depending on the wheels and where you got them tracked don't believe they're tracked properly. If everything is tight put the rears on the front and see if it goes away, I had this with a set of 18s which wouldn't ever balance.

i would get a second opinion on the ballencing.. most places dont charge for checking the ballence of the wheels, get the fitter to check to see if the tyres and wheel are running true. maybe the original place had a a slightly off callibrated ballencer.. it happens. its also free to check this so what have yougot to loose?

thanks for all the help guys.... much appreciated!

I will do as you've suggested and get the wheels re-checked at a different place, and have a look for wheel-bearing/trackrod-end issues...

just out of interest, how would an ARB drop-link cause a vibration?

oh, and is that countach yours ?!?!?!? :thumbsup_anim:

p.s. that's a very tidy looking tubby Jon!

thanks for all the help guys.... much appreciated!

I will do as you've suggested and get the wheels re-checked at a different place, and have a look for wheel-bearing/trackrod-end issues...

just out of interest, how would an ARB drop-link cause a vibration?

oh, and is that countach yours ?!?!?!? :thumbsup_anim:

p.s. that's a very tidy looking tubby Jon!

The ARB drop-link is miniscule in design so easy to damage. My point is the Anti roll bar is part of the dynamic team and not only involved with weight transfer. The pulse reacting to the road undulations involves coil-damper-arb (team work).... As for the Lambo?......... Soon i hope :lol:

I'd have thought an ARB related knock would be a constant, not just in a small range of speed. My money is on something loose or the wheel not balanced. Make sure you find a garage that use a 5 stud plate (like Tonys garage :thumbsup_anim:) as going through the spigot is a near pointless exercise.

I'd have thought an ARB related knock would be a constant, not just in a small range of speed. My money is on something loose or the wheel not balanced. Make sure you find a garage that use a 5 stud plate (like Tonys garage :thumbsup_anim:) as going through the spigot is a near pointless exercise.

I was thinking more along the lines that the drop link was detached (no knock) or even bent on the nsf causing a negative reaction on the anti-roll bar and maybe the reason for the pull?.... As for the studded balance plate you are spot on with that one jon.

Make sure you find a garage that use a 5 stud plate

good idea.. but easier said than done!! nearly all the tyre-fitting places round here seem to be staffed almost exclusively by primates of either the chimpanze of orangutan variety.... :thumbsup_anim: and aren't very helpful with such things!

I will endeavour this weekend however.. and report back!

Make sure you find a garage that use a 5 stud plate

good idea.. but easier said than done!! nearly all the tyre-fitting places round here seem to be staffed almost exclusively by primates of either the chimpanze of orangutan variety.... :thumbsup_anim: and aren't very helpful with such things!

I will endeavour this weekend however.. and report back!

Please do.... this image is a 5 stud plate just so you have an idea what to ask for.

post-2-1169155515_thumb.jpg

my car uses 4-stud hubs.... can this contraption be adjusted somehow to fit 4-stud applications?

No mate... sorry this was just a pictorial example... the shop needs a three, four, five and six plate range to coverall cars/vans.

many thanks to you guys... I now have a vibration-free super-smooth car again!!!

I found a Pirelli Performance Centre not too far away, and went there with your comments... turns out my wheels were supplied with the wrong nuts, no spigot rings, and had been balanced appalingly!! (they showed me one, which was actually BETTER balanced once they'ed REMOVED the weights that had been put on it!! yikes!)

...so it cost me a fair bit (new nuts, rings, full 'positional-balance' on studs).. but it worked!! yipeeeee! The guy was also very helpful and explained the whole lot, and obviously knew what he was talking about, and actually cared, which most tyre-fitting places just don't seem to do.

so, a big thankyou to you all again!!