I WANT a new lens!

Rich

I love my 55-200 but I find I need that extra bit of reach and looking at the 70-300. Looking at examples the lens is sharper at 200mm on the 70-300 than what it is on the 55-200. The lens in question is £450 in Jessops although other places do it cheaper and used around £300. Argos are doing them on ebay brand new for £304 delivered with 12 months warranty. They had the offer on a while ago but sold out very quickly and I said to myself next time it's that price I will get one cos that is a bargain. Trouble is I wasn't expecting it to happen so soon.

So shall I buy it or not? I would sell the other lens, which should get me £100 back but I have just renewed our zoo memberships, it's the missus 30th birthday in 2 weeks and I need to save some cash for a new car. Either way it'll go on the credit card but shall I stick to what I've got or be naughty and buy it!! :crying_anim:

You only live once mate..... Answer your dreams but don't be reckless to the extent you get into debt.

Already in debt mate although it's not loads, but yeah you only live once. On TP some people talk about putting cameras or lenses worth £2k on their cards! :blink:

From the photos I've seen though it's a very nice lens and well worth the money at the usual price. Plus what's the point of having the zoo memberships if I don't have a decent lens to go with it! :huh:

I remember seeing the older Nikon 70-300s going on ebay for around £150 a while back, not sure if they're still there.

They were brand new, but the older ones that didn't have VR - not sure if that makes them useless at 300mm but for a brand new genuine Nikkor lens that really is a bargain price.

Those 70-300 ones will be AF so focus through the motor on the body, like with your D90. My D5000 needs the auto focus in the lens, called AF-S, hence it's twice the price! :huh:

But I'm only planning on having this lens, either keep the 18-55 (kit) lens or replace that with an 18-70 (£100 used) and then get a 35mm (£180 new). If I was going to have 5+ lenses it would probably be better to get a body with a built in focus motor.

Having said that some argue they prefer having the motor in the lens cos if the auto focus breaks they don't need to send the camera off, just the lens.

Those 70-300 ones will be AF so focus through the motor on the body, like with your D90. My D5000 needs the auto focus in the lens, called AF-S, hence it's twice the price! ;)

But I'm only planning on having this lens, either keep the 18-55 (kit) lens or replace that with an 18-70 (£100 used) and then get a 35mm (£180 new). If I was going to have 5+ lenses it would probably be better to get a body with a built in focus motor.

Having said that some argue they prefer having the motor in the lens cos if the auto focus breaks they don't need to send the camera off, just the lens.

Good point, hadn't thought of that.

My lens is an AF-S one, so does it focus in the lens or in the body? I know that to switch of AF I need to switch it off on the lens and the body or it still does it automatically, so I'm guessing one overrides the other (as a guess probably the lens)

I would imagine the body does the focusing and you leave the AF on the lens switched off. Not sure what happens if you leave both of them switched on.

The listing doesn't say how many they have left, just more than 10...I'm getting itchy fingers but it wouldn't be dead money, Nikon hold their value if I ever had to sell it. Would need a new strap as well cos it's a heavy lens and the standard one wouldn't be strong enough to support the weight.

Well I couldn't make up my mind whether to get this now but last night I had providing I could sell enough stuff to cover the cost of it. There were 6 left this morning so was going to buy it when I got home. I just checked and someone has bought 1 and another person bought 5 so they're all gone now!! <_>

Guess it gives me some time to save the money for when they're on sale again.