Different size spare wheel

Rich

Bought meself a new spare wheel and tyre on ebay. Brand new continental tyre for only a fiver!

The tyres I have on the car are 205/50 R16. Now I was going to get a 14" spare but have gone for a 15" with a tyre size of 205/55.

Now as there's only minimal difference between the overall size of the 2 different sizes could I use this spare normally with the others? Obviously wouldn't do silly speeds but I wouldn't have to be as cautious as I would with a 14" wheel would I?

Also how much would a garage normally charge to dispose of me old tyre so I can take the rim down the tip? I know it's a quid when you get them to change the tyre but I can see them charging more! rolleyes_anim.gif

thats about 10mm height difference between the two wheels, i would treat your spare exactly as you would a space saver as the height difference will cause two different handeling charecteristics (sp?) on the same axle. use it as a 'get you to a garage' type wheel

i personally would not do this, as if you had an serious accident, your insurance upon investigation of the vehicle would more than likely refuse to payout, but if you do do this, put the smaller wheel on the non-driven axle (i.e. on the rear on the mondeo) as the resulting differences in rolling radius

wouldn't be very kind to the diff (or the gearbox in your case)...

I would only use it to get me home or to a garage. I'm not one of these people who drives around for weeks with the spare on!

I suppose it would be the same for people with 18's or 19's, not very practical carry a spare in that size!