Coilovers

Tango

Just thinking (always dangerous :D ). If you fit coilovers, instead of fixed height spring sets, how can you have correct geometry settings? Obviously without setting them in one position and adjusting the geometry to suit that particular drop.

Especially if the coilovers are remotely adjustable electronically. :)

Surely it's only an issue if the ride height can be altered at your discretion (can you do that with coilovers - I know you can adjust firmness but can you alter height?)

Good point about air suspension though, I know with the Merc Airmatic system that you can drop the car's height by 15mm by pushing a button, perhaps it lowers the car without affecting the geometry?

Surely it's only an issue if the ride height can be altered at your discretion (can you do that with coilovers - I know you can adjust firmness but can you alter height?)

Good point about air suspension though, I know with the Merc Airmatic system that you can drop the car's height by 15mm by pushing a button, perhaps it lowers the car without affecting the geometry?

So is the only point of fitting coilovers is to be able to set the height to your one preference??

Controlling the dampening is wise since the coils would have a higher rate. Car with adjustable air suspension have the chassis calibrated at mid point, as the hight is lowered the geometry stays within tolerance, in addition as the hight is lowered the pressure rate is increased reducing the dynamic gains.

Controlling the dampening is wise since the coils would have a higher rate. Car with adjustable air suspension have the chassis calibrated at mid point, as the hight is lowered the geometry stays within tolerance, in addition as the hight is lowered the pressure rate is increased reducing the dynamic gains.

So your saying there's nothing detrimental to fitting coilovers instead of springs and separate shocks then?

There's no camber adjustent from factory. I imagine it would mean adjustable balljoints or even importing kits from america so an image first is a good idea.

It was the same adjusters used on Tango's car but not sure if I would need a rear adjusters as I am thinking fitting a coilover instead of springs. Thanks

The toe on an IS250 adjustable right?, now i believe the reason why tango fitted an after market front camber adjusters was because of uneven wear on his tyres. Do you think I would need a front camber adjusters if I am lowering my car with coilovers. Thanks

Toe front and rear is adjustable. You won't need camber adjuster unless you go below a 30mm drop.

That was an expensive 8.1mm then :lol:

If I were you Suren, I would ask WIM to fit the European Specification EiBach Pro Springset which will drop the car 30mm all round. The front of my 250 was dropped 1.5" (38.1mm) but the rear was only 1" (25.4mm).

Wheel width comes into play remember.

True, I had wheel Size (diameter and width): 19x8.5 Front - 19x9.5 Rear

Wheel Offset Front:+38..offset extends +13mm to standard/+1mm inner gap 8.5 j

Wheel Offset Rear:+42...offset extends +42mm to standard/-16mm inner gap

Tyre Size Front: 235/35/19 Tyre Size Rear: 285/30/19

OEM Standard fitting:-

17" RWD:

Front: 225/45/17, 17x8 +45mm O/S. Rear: 245/45/17, 17x8, +45mm O/S.

18" RWD :

Front: 225/40/18, 18x8, +45mm. Rear: 255/40/18, 18x8.5, +50mm

Toe front and rear is adjustable. You won't need camber adjuster unless you go below a 30mm drop.

That was an expensive 8.1mm then :unsure:

If I were you Suren, I would ask WIM to fit the European Specification EiBach Pro Springset which will drop the car 30mm all round. The front of my 250 was dropped 1.5" (38.1mm) but the rear was only 1" (25.4mm).

So you reckon it should be EiBach springs and not the coilovers, even with a 17'' wheels. I do want to drop the front to 30mm not sure about the rear without using the camber adjusters but confused between coilovers or springs so any suggestions are welcome. Yes and I would like WIM to fit them.

So you reckon it should be EiBach springs and not the coilovers, even with a 17'' wheels. I do want to drop the front to 30mm not sure about the rear without using the camber adjusters but confused between coilovers or springs so any suggestions are welcome. Yes and I would like WIM to fit them.

Coilovers are height adjustable via the spring perches that are threaded onto the shock body. The shocks normally offer a range of adjustability that can include shock compression (the downward stroke) and rebound (the upward stroke of the shock as the suspension unloads) with as many as 15 or more settings for each. As you appear to have a fixed 30mm drop in mind, this range of adjustment doesn't appear to be essential to your needs.

The other feature of coilovers is the ability to change the stiffness of the shock absorbers, but the Eibach Pro Springset is a very good compromise for a road car in being slightly stiffer without totally ruining the ride comfort. I found the standard shock absorbers to be perfectly adequate even with the lower ride height with the American spec springs.

Assuming you're not wanting to alter the ride height and stiffness every week-end for putting the car on the track, I'd say lowering springs are what you need. However, if money isn't a concern and you or you want to play with the settings then buy coilovers.

Coilovers are height adjustable via the spring perches that are threaded onto the shock body. The shocks normally offer a range of adjustability that can include shock compression (the downward stroke) and rebound (the upward stroke of the shock as the suspension unloads) with as many as 15 or more settings for each. As you appear to have a fixed 30mm drop in mind, this range of adjustment doesn't appear to be essential to your needs.

The other feature of coilovers is the ability to change the stiffness of the shock absorbers, but the Eibach Pro Springset is a very good compromise for a road car in being slightly stiffer without totally ruining the ride comfort. I found the standard shock absorbers to be perfectly adequate even with the lower ride height with the American spec springs.

Assuming you're not wanting to alter the ride height and stiffness every week-end for putting the car on the track, I'd say lowering springs are what you need. However, if money isn't a concern and you or you want to play with the settings then buy coilovers.

Yes 30mm is what I have in mind and thats because dropping any lower requires after market camber adjusters which is not the route I want to take, but having said that all I am looking for is handling/ride comfort and if the springs can do that then I would go for the Eibachs.

Yes 30mm is what I have in mind and thats because dropping any lower requires after market camber adjusters which is not the route I want to take, but having said that all I am looking for is handling/ride comfort and if the springs can do that then I would go for the Eibachs.

Good move. Looks so much better when it's dropped too. :thumbsup_anim: