Alternator/Charging problem on mondeo TD

Rich

Ok here's the problem...

Last Friday me battery light started coming on and off every few minutes. Car was starting/running fine etc. On Saturday the light stayed on constantly. Checked the voltage Sunday and it was at 12V when the engine was on and under load so obviously not charging. Had to use the car locally and the battery had obviously drained so much that I lost the rev counter, speedo, lights etc. Eventually the car died and the AA had to come out. He tested the battery said that was fine, only 6 months old anyway. Said it was the alternator.

On another forum someone suggested the brushes so I went to delphi and ordered a new one. Fitted that yesterday, started it up and it was fine. Voltage reading was 14V when the car was running. Went to work and came home and the light never came on. Went out tonight (was doing alot of stopping/starting) and the light came on when I was waiting at a junction. Went off for a few minutes and then stayed on again til I turned the engine off.

Gonna check the voltage in the morning to see what voltage it's putting out and if it's still charging. Could this be the actual alternator itself though, voltage regulator or maybe the belt? I have a recon alternator on the way but probably won't get it til monday next week.

I know there's a few members on here around my area and was wondering if any of you know any good auto electrians that are mobile? I don't wanna drive it too far and cos I work nights on a Trading Estate I can't be without a car!

Also forgot to mention that when I check the alternator I found alot of oil over the connections. I cleaned most of it off but could this have caused damage to the wiring?

Cheers :thumbsup_anim:

I've killed an alternator by spilling oil on it, they put the thing right under the oil filler on the MR2s! Wiring however should remain unhurt.

Sounds like it's given up the ghost tbh, they do. My one other suggestion, if not a little unlikely is a damaged connector so maybe try testing the wiring with a multimeter. I only say this as you replaced something, it worked for a bit then stopped. Long shot.

Look on the bright side, it's not an MR2. I had to take off most of the exhaust, both rear wheels and drop the rear subframe to get the alternator out of the engine bay!

There is no oil on the actual alternator, just the wiring. The oil filter is underneath it so can't be that. I think it may have come from a hose connected to the intercooler. What should be used to clean oil off wiring, is carb cleaner ok?

There is a test point on the alternator via the voltage regulator, but would the engine need to be on to do this? Only reason I ask is that the intercooler sits above, so has to be removed to put the volt reader on. Will this be ok to do as long as the car isn't driven with it?

Yours sounds like it was a nightmare mate! :thumbsup_anim:

I don't think i'd use carb cleaner, that stuffs hardcore. Perhaps fairy liquid?

I can't answer your question about the voltage regulator but it's fine to run the engine with the intercooler out of the loop, it wouldn't be getting any airflow even if it was there! As long as you stay off boost (probably easier said than done in an TDI) you can even drive on it np, i often turn the pump off to my chargecooler if i'm just blatting down the motorway.

Fairy liquid as in mixed with water or neat, is this wise on something electrical though? How about WD40, or would that be too greasy?

I'll try and check the voltage on the alternator tomorrow then, if the cables on the voltmeter will reach that far! I won't have the engine running then when I check this :rolleyes:

I've already asked Tony and he doesn't know of anyone. I do know someone very good in Essex when I was living at me folks, they can find any problem straight away, but some how I don't think the car will make the 60 mile trip there!! :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks

I guess the dilemma is anything that cleans oil will conduct. Personally I'd make sure the battery was disconnected, get a wet brush, put some fairy liquid on and wipe it down, dry it off with a towel then leave it to dry a lot longer before putting it back together. But i'm no wiring expert, you should see some of the things i've done to the mr2 to get power lol.

When is your recon alternator due? That will probably make all your problems go away (fingers crossed!) - Edit: You already said, Monday :thumbsup_anim:

Yeah I'm hoping Saturday but knowing the Royal Mail it will be Monday the earliest.

To fit it it's a bolt underneath, one on top and one on the side, plus 3 wires. Only problem is I have a fuel fired heater and the pipe runs across the top. I think this will need moving to get the alternator out. I will see what happens tomorrow first and whether I can find a local auto electrician.

I ain't got a clue what it does mate! :thumbsup_anim:

I don't think the brushes were the source of the problem, just a coincidence they were worn.

Checked the voltage earlier when the engine was cold -

Battery - 12.9V

Idle - 12.9V

Revs up to 4K - 14V

4K Revs under load - 14V

Once the engine warmed up I got 12.9V all the time.

I suspected this was more of a problem when the car has warmed up the other day.

Work is only 5 miles away and takes 10 minutes to get there. Therefore the car has only just warmed up when I arrive. Last night the light didn't come on until after about 15 minutes when the engine was warm again. Left the car running for 15 minutes again earlier and the light stayed on once the engine had warmed up.

I've found an electrician close to me, gonna give them a ring, but does this give any more clues as to what the problem is?

Interesting, at least we know your wiring is good!

Assuming the belts not slipping I'm still going for a knackered alternator, hopefully we'll find out tomorrow :thumbsup_anim:

Of course, I'm still no auto electrician, I'm glad you're making it to work ok though!

First place I phoned doesn't test them, but they gave me the number for someone else who's local and told him the problem.

As I've ruled out the brushes, AA tested the battery which is ok, and as you said the wiring is ok as it's charging when cold it has to be the alternator. If it was the voltage regulator then I should see a change in voltage on the meter when it is charging, which I don't.

I haven't checked the tension of the belt yet but I think it's ok. Just hope it comes tomorrow now and then got the aggro of fitting it.

Think I need some breaker bars though to get the bolts off from what I've read, which I don't have :(

If the battery is fully charged and providing it's not raining so I don't need to use wipers etc how far would the car get me before the battery dies?

As for work, I don't work Thursday or Friday night so it's not too bad. Just a pain if I have to get the bus in next week, 10 minute drive compared to an hour and 15 minutes via public transport, including the walking!! rolleyes_anim.gif

Go to a local building site an steal a bit of box section or scaffold, anything you can slip over the end of your normal ratchet for more leverage, home made breaker rolleyes_anim.gif

Regarding the battery I think it's a case of how long is a bit of string. Too many variables to guess.

Had a play about today tightening the belt and also the positive terminal on the battery as I felt it weren't tight enough. I have different symptoms now...

Idle - 14V

Up to 4K revs - 14V

Under load - 12.3V

The more electrics I switch on, the more the voltage drops. It does increase slightly to about 12.5V when doing over 2.5K revs.

I'm starting to suspect the regulator now but we shall see when I get this recon one and can swap the part over. If I don't get any joy it's time to change the alternator.

Had a play about today tightening the belt and also the positive terminal on the battery as I felt it weren't tight enough. I have different symptoms now...

Idle - 14V

Up to 4K revs - 14V

Under load - 12.3V

The more electrics I switch on, the more the voltage drops. It does increase slightly to about 12.5V when doing over 2.5K revs.

I'm starting to suspect the regulator now but we shall see when I get this recon one and can swap the part over. If I don't get any joy it's time to change the alternator.

Reads like the Reg.... Keep us updated fella rolleyes_anim.gif

Well seeing that it was a nice day I thought I'd try changing this. Was very easy compare to how I thought it would be.

Half hour taking it out and the same putting the recon one in.

Been driving all afternoon and not had any more problems :thumbsup_anim:

Just for reference, the battery when fully charged lasted about 20 miles when driving with just the headlights on. I thought this was pretty good...

Well seeing that it was a nice day I thought I'd try changing this. Was very easy compare to how I thought it would be.

Half hour taking it out and the same putting the recon one in.

Been driving all afternoon and not had any more problems :thumbsup_anim:

Just for reference, the battery when fully charged lasted about 20 miles when driving with just the headlights on. I thought this was pretty good...

Good for you ph34r_anim.gif I was worried since i knew the car is so important to you.... seemingly it's healthy again :D

Yep, just the suspension to sort out now, I got the shocks and springs the other day :thumbsup_anim:

Do you need the compressor?

Well I haven't been able to source any top hats and I need to replace one at the front and rear, plus a mounting plate. I was thinking it might be easier if I just get meself some and then swap them over when I fit them. Will most likely do it on a Sunday as I'll be getting help with the pinch bolts, don't trust meself with them!!

Great news :D

Cheers, everytime I do a job meself it gives me that little bit more confidence to try something else. This is the first car I've worked on meself! ph34r_anim.gif

Great news biggrin.png

Cheers, everytime I do a job meself it gives me that little bit more confidence to try something else. This is the first car I've worked on meself! ph34r_anim.gif

It's a good feeling isn't it :D I've done just about everything I can on my mr2 now bar drop the engine, all you need is a friendly forum and a lot of good intent :thumbsup_anim: A hate for the skin on your knuckles always helps too

• 3 years later...

Was just googling for mondeo alternator problems and found this old thread, I had only been a member here for 2 months!! I didn't realise it was nearly 4 years ago I fitted that recon alternator...at least it's easy to change from what I wrote, couldn't quite remember! :lol: That's assuming it is an alternator problem I have now as no battery light has come on this time :lol:

O/T - What's happened to jon these day, he rarely posts now?