Brown pants moment

Funky

Had a scary ride out this morning. Never felt confident in wet weather since having the MX5 really.

Came up to a roundabout this morning just moving with the traffic so not fast at all, a slight slip as I went round enough for the light on the dash to flash.

As I moved over to the outside lane to pass a slower car, now going completely strait I accelerated and the wheels started to spin in third gear! Which made the car snake and squirm, the stability light was flashing again to tell me i was gonna crash and burst into flames any second.

Obviously i made it out ok, but was very nervous the rest of my trip.

It had been raining for most of the morning so the road was clean and not greasy.

It's not just traction thats the problem in the wet, the front will skid under braking even at slow speeds on flat stony road surfaces.

Could it be pressure to high/low? 28psi?

The tyres were on the car when i bought it, and are a no name brand but still have 5-6mm tread all round.

In the dry i get excellent grip and feed back. I know they're probably cheap but surely the they can't be that bad and nasty?

Didn't want to fork out for new rubber right now but don't feel safe in the wet weather atm.

Getting wheels re-finished soon so spose it may be good to go for tyres at the same time.

I see Toyo's have been recommended before, anything else? It's a 365 day a year car unlikely to do any track days atm.

thanks in advance

I do that all the time when it's been raining, great up hills just spinning up through the autobox with sideways action :D

smooth V8 power? :)

i love a bit of sideways action to but there were cars inches away

Has Tony worked his magic alignment wise?

If not I recomend he does.

H

Oh yes had the WIM magic. Just hard to believe how a car that drives so well in the dry can be so bad on wet roads.

Ok tyres ordered and will be fitted when the wheels are re-furbed while i'm on holiday. Can't afford it but cant afford to slid into the back of another car either :D

Gutted coz this is the first time i've bought a car with loads of tread on the tyres.

Budget tyres + wet roads = brown pants moment on any car! I will always try and buy branded tyres now, I've had too many close encounters before :rolleyes:

On my Vectra mate i have Michelin Energy Eco tyres on the front and Firestone cheapy things on the back both tyres have loads of tread on them but GOD are they awfull in wet conditions..Zero grip around corners and thats doing 25-30 can feel the front scrabbling for grip and the back end loosing grip....

Was thinking of getting rid of them and ordering new tyres from WIM..

But not sure best tyres to get for my car...? 195/65/15

I still love the grip I got from my Toyo's when I had them but they wear very quickly.

Your tyres sound quite bad, which is a surprise for 195 wide as the narrower the tyre the less that should happen. The Civic has P6000 all round in a 195/60/15 and they're suppose to be terrible in the wet going by the reviews but they're not actually that bad. If you push it you can feel them losing grip but with sensible driving they seem to be ok.

I still love the grip I got from my Toyo's when I had them but they wear very quickly.

Your tyres sound quite bad, which is a surprise for 195 wide as the narrower the tyre the less that should happen. The Civic has P6000 all round in a 195/60/15 and they're suppose to be terrible in the wet going by the reviews but they're not actually that bad. If you push it you can feel them losing grip but with sensible driving they seem to be ok.

I thought they would be good and having 195 section tyres but i think they are not very grippy coz they are low rolling resistance ECO tyres...

But they are ok in the dry to a point but really bad in the wet....

Had a scary ride out this morning. Never felt confident in wet weather since having the MX5 really.

Came up to a roundabout this morning just moving with the traffic so not fast at all, a slight slip as I went round enough for the light on the dash to flash.

As I moved over to the outside lane to pass a slower car, now going completely strait I accelerated and the wheels started to spin in third gear! Which made the car snake and squirm, the stability light was flashing again to tell me i was gonna crash and burst into flames any second.

Obviously i made it out ok, but was very nervous the rest of my trip.

It had been raining for most of the morning so the road was clean and not greasy.

It's not just traction thats the problem in the wet, the front will skid under braking even at slow speeds on flat stony road surfaces.

Could it be pressure to high/low? 28psi?

The tyres were on the car when i bought it, and are a no name brand but still have 5-6mm tread all round.

In the dry i get excellent grip and feed back. I know they're probably cheap but surely the they can't be that bad and nasty?

Didn't want to fork out for new rubber right now but don't feel safe in the wet weather atm.

Getting wheels re-finished soon so spose it may be good to go for tyres at the same time.

I see Toyo's have been recommended before, anything else? It's a 365 day a year car unlikely to do any track days atm.

thanks in advance

I'm on my second MX5 Mk3 now, and tyres defintely make a difference. Had a set of 4 Vredesteins [sp?] put on my old '5 and I got rid of them after about 3 months because it made the car feel like I was always driving on ice!

Toyo Proxes T1R's have been good to me on my old '5. They seem to have good grip in all conditions, and also when there's not so much grip it seems to lose traction quite gradually, so you don't get so many suprises.

My latest '5 came with Bridgestone Potenzas which seem to have good handling too, although I think the suspension is a bit more "pro" on this model so it might be that making them feel good B)

I'm on my second MX5 Mk3 now, and tyres defintely make a difference. Had a set of 4 Vredesteins [sp?] put on my old '5 and I got rid of them after about 3 months because it made the car feel like I was always driving on ice!

Toyo Proxes T1R's have been good to me on my old '5. They seem to have good grip in all conditions, and also when there's not so much grip it seems to lose traction quite gradually, so you don't get so many suprises.

thanks for the reassurance Jim B) just a couple more weeks to go.

@scorps, how about a few do-nuts!

• 1 month later...

So, the new tyres have been on a couple of weeks now, tried them out in the wet Saturday and have to say the difference is amazing. :smile_anim: I don't have to tip toe round round-a bouts any more. In the dry also loads better, more responsive.

Had a good blast to the coast on the weekend too, great fun.

I do have a small problem though i think caused by a large pot hole on the N/S rear just before i got wheels painted (lucky just before).

I didn't notice with the old tyres. Taking left handers i can steer into and out of the corners no problem.

However when i take right handers (leaning on that side) i have to make adjustment to the steering, like i've over-steered or something.

I'm guessing it's knocked the toe out or something?