Engine bay babes

Tony

No but go to and organise lots of meets.As a dedicated member of Type Accord i try to keep the car in tip top.

Iv spent over 2k now on mods most of them Genuine Honda equipment.

TA are showing members cars now in Total Honda so i think i will get a proper photo shoot for mine to be entered.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Tony. Not to do with exit pressure.. 

First consider this is a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold and Consider the exhaust gas from each cylinder to be a set body size.. I. E a 2 inch glug traveling down the pipe. 

As that glug of exhaust gas exist the cumustion chamber and starts heading down the pipe it creates a mini vacuum behind it. After a known time period (will cover this in a moment) the glug gets to the exhaust  section where it joins I. E. The first 2-1... 

As this exhaust gas glug merges with the other joining pipe that vacuum is shared with both header pipes. At exactly the moment this occurs, the exhaust valves from the other pipe opens. 

This means that the sudden mini vaccum 'sucks' the exhaust gasses out the cylinder a bit quicker than normal. 

There is a significant amount of information about tuned exhaust pipes and it is incredible how critical gas flow is. 

If this is in to a turbo, then having eqaul length pipes allows a smoother turbo spool and is less likely to suffer with minor boost fluctuations. 

However you only need to worry about this if your chasing high and reliable power 

Helps ensure that the spool is smoother and more efficient. 

What's better.. One big blow every revolution or 1 smaller more efficient blow every 1/4 turn. 

Also the negative pressure after each exhaust pulse is still extant up the to point of the pipes meeting. So even though there is now a giant spinny thing in the way.. You can still gain efficiency by tuning and matching the exhaust lengths