Putting a whole car on axle stands

I've put one axle on stands before but is there a certain way to put both on? Should I do the rear first, the front or one side at a time? I'm abit worried it might slip off the axle stands when I've already got 2 wheels in the air.

jacking sides means the car can lift off a stand you have already possitioned? unless im missing something?

i normally do front first then rear, my reasoning for this is because most cars have a single jacking point up front and at the rear alowing for a single jack to raise a whole end, the rear has the handbrake stopping the car from moving while jacking the front and with the stand on the front the rear can be jacked. Always seemed the safest way to me.

That's what I was thinking of doing, jack it up from the centre of the subframe and place the axle stands there. Then do the rear one side at a time as there isn't really anywhere to jack it in the middle.

If you lift one side at a time I thought there might be a chance of the car slipping off the stands you've already put the car on when you raise the other side.

i have a bag jack, means you can jack in a lot more places than with a standard one. before the suspension change it was the only way i could jack the mr2 as it was too low for any conventional (or easy to get my mits on) jack.

think you are a bit far away to let you borrow it though ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I tried jacking it up from the centre of the subframe but it wouldn't go high enough. I actually got it higher jacking one side at a time. That might be cos the car is facing downwards on a slight slope as well. I've got the exhaust though, I don't think I need to go underneath again apart from 2 bolt holding the cat on. So I'll just get it as high as I can and leave it like that. Also where is the best place to get some blocks of wood from, will B&Q give you off cuts for free?

..Also where is the best place to get some blocks of wood from, will B&Q give you off cuts for free?

B&Q unlikely, but you can always raid the industrial estates at weekends - they will be only too happy to lose the odd knackered pallet. that's where my duck house and previous house monster compost bays came from.

• 3 weeks later...

Good call with the tip but luckily the missus old man had some in his shed I could use :)

I got the car on all 4 stands today, not something I wish to do too often! Got the front ones on the subframe and then did one side of the rear. The front on the same side lifted off the axle stand as I jacked it up and the car started making noises as it lifted off! :D I didn't do the rear too high, just enough so the wheels aren't touching the ground. Then did the other side at the rear but have left the wheels on for now. I had to use the 3rd hole on the stands, which I don't like doing!

• 1 year later...

Got a question about placing these at the rear of the Corolla. It has a rear beam and centre jack point, the only problem using this is it doesn't go high enough to lift the wheels off the ground! So I jack from the side using the box sections, which I also put the axle stands on but they are more to the centre of the car than the rear, see photo.

rear_01.jpg

I don't like jacking or placing the axle stands on the sills as it bends them, looks like one side has been done like that already. So can I place the stands on the rear beam where I have marked the red X in the photo? The centre part houses the anti roll bar and isn't solid. My only concern is I might be putting a strain on the bushes or it's going to cause a problem when the springs compress?

rear_02.jpg

Got a question about placing these at the rear of the Corolla. It has a rear beam and centre jack point, the only problem using this is it doesn't go high enough to lift the wheels off the ground! So I jack from the side using the box sections, which I also put the axle stands on but they are more to the centre of the car than the rear, see photo.

post-438-0-69414400-1345494358.jpg

I don't like jacking or placing the axle stands on the sills as it bends them, looks like one side has been done like that already. So can I place the stands on the rear beam where I have marked the red X in the photo? The centre part houses the anti roll bar and isn't solid. My only concern is I might be putting a strain on the bushes or it's going to cause a problem when the springs compress?

post-438-0-71865200-1345494359.jpg

place the stands on the rear arm bushes where they attach to the body (2" from the red cross)

springs wont be compressed and you will get full lift

don't place stands or jack up from the box sections ! they are weak and can damage easy

place the stands on the rear arm bushes where they attach to the body (2" from the red cross)

springs wont be compressed and you will get full lift

don't place stands or jack up from the box sections ! they are weak and can damage easy

I'll try that next time then, looks like a good place.

I thought those box sections were there for that reason, they feel very solid, obviously the higher parts of the chassis are weaker. I always used to place the stands on my Mondeo on these parts as there was no where else to put them. I'm also pretty sure I've seen them at WIM jack cars up from these? :unsure:

I would use the centre jacking point if it got the car high enough, where else can I jack the rear from then other than the sills, which will bend them up.

I think these things are going to get more difficult as even quite ordinary cars are given lower ground clearances, as more manufacturers fit under-body covers to improve aerodynamics and reduce fuel consumption and as they give less and less attention to the needs of DIY maintenance. Actually, I shouldn't have said "less and less attention", because I think it is worse than that. I believe that most manufacturers want positively to discourage DIY maintenance.

The low profile jack he's using can get under just about anything that is streetable. They will still need contact pads for hoists to use, though I think you are right manufacturer's are making it harder for DIY'ers. My sills are shot from having to use jack/stands on the pinch welds, though that's more to do with where I live more than anything. They need to make a stand that will work someplace else besides the sills.

Yeah my jack is pretty low but I still need to drive the front onto blocks of wood to reach the centre jacking point. I had the car parked on a flat surface earlier and jacked the rear from the centre point, at the highest point the wheels were still on the ground!!

I need to buy one of those hockey pucks and cut a slot in it (no still haven't done that), then I can jack from the sills without having to worry about bending them.