Honda Civic 1.6. SE Executive Auto

Rich

That was my thinking too, just look for something that is £2k to use as a runabout. I don't want to px it for a car that is too cheap in case it arouses suspicions as to why I'm getting rid of it!

The best way for it to not look suspicious is to buy something much newer, and that could have better residuals as well for when you need to shift it. No idea on how much stuff costs, but could you get something like a 3 or 4 year old VW Up for reasonable money?

That was my thinking too, just look for something that is £2k to use as a runabout. I don't want to px it for a car that is too cheap in case it arouses suspicions as to why I'm getting rid of it!

The best way for it to not look suspicious is to buy something much newer, and that could have better residuals as well for when you need to shift it. No idea on how much stuff costs, but could you get something like a 3 or 4 year old VW Up for reasonable money?

A VW UP of that age start from £6k so that's a none starter, might as well just get the CT for £3k more.

I also need to find something fairly local, I don't want to be driving the Civic too far to px it!

It needs to be an auto though and it doesn't look like they make one in the Citygo, otherwise that could've been a consideration. The Mii is expensive in an auto, it seems Seat hold a premium like the VW badge does.

It needs to be an auto though and it doesn't look like they make one in the Citygo, otherwise that could've been a consideration. The Mii is expensive in an auto, it seems Seat hold a premium like the VW badge does.

They do the Citgo with an auto , as I said its the same car , same gearbox, same engine   although only about 10% are autos

I found previous deals online from a couple of years ago but nothing recently apart from 0% finance. I don't mind Skoda's and I really like the look of the spaceback but the missus doesn't like them.

I syphoned the coolant out of the expansion tank last night and topped the radiator up, although not to the top. I have noticed the car does seem a little jerky now, which has got me thinking about the oil cooler for the auto box. If this was leaking coolant into the box would that prevent it from returning back to the radiator from the expansion tank?

I have tried another radiator cap, so unless that's faulty it's not that and the only other thing I've read it might be is a pin hole in the hose between the radiator and expansion tank. Although I have been syphoning the coolant out using this hose but I guess it depends how much of a vacuum the system makes compared to me using a coolant tester, which is like a turkey baster.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still syphoning the coolant out! If this was happening to someone who doesn't know about cars I guess the radiator would've emptied itself by now and the engine overheated? I'm getting a knocking over bumps as well now and the drivers seat has started rocking again, I've already fixed it once!  :rolleyes:

I've seen a car up North from a dealer that I could possibly px with but I'm nervous about driving the Civic up there, plus if they say they won't px it then we've got to get it home as well!

• 3 weeks later...

The car hasn't moved for 2 weeks! Driving it to work and back, so 10 miles, after 3 days the level in the rad drops by around 300ml. This stays in the expansion tank so I had been siphoning it back in.

Haven't been to look at any cars yet, just searching autotrader. Might go the weekend if it's not raining but need to get rid of it asap, the tax is up end of this month.

• 1 month later...

Well i have to say the description is total....... How long did it take you to type all that out!

Not long, I did it on Friday morning at work, I had nothing else to do! It took longer going through all the paperwork.

If it does need a new headgasket then it is mainly labour, someone who can do the work themselves might be tempted for a cheap runabout. If I had the space and time I'd be tempted to keep it and have a go myself.

I don't think it's an end of days job but the head will need to be skimmed.

£30 to skim a head, a few quid for a gasket, cambelt, water pump and coolant shouldn't any more than £150. So if you have the know how and the time it should suit someone. Especially with recent replacement parts on the air con and suspension.