Honda Civic 1.6. SE Executive Auto

Rich

Yes albeit fluctuating..... I think i've asked before but are there any in-line bleed nipples.

Well they didn't say it was doing that, just that it is holding pressure and they left it on there for about 2 hours. With the level dropping in the radiator and it rising in the expansion tank it is obviously air but it doesn't seem to be losing any coolant.

I'm wondering if dropping the coolant and flushing the system might be a good idea, then refill it very slowly hopefully eliminating any air locks. When I tried bleeding it before I was just getting bubble after bubble coming out for 30 minutes so gave up.

No it doesn't have any nipples, you just run the engine with the cap off the radiator.

Its head gasket then . If it were the matrix it would lose pressure , in fact anything would make it lose pressure apart from the HG.

It cant still be an air lock and anyhow its losing water so its going somewhere,  when the engine is running the pressure could force gasses past the gasket into the water ways , as the engine cools it could draw water back in. 

Compression check might confirm it but I still think you should move it on

Its head gasket then . If it were the matrix it would lose pressure , in fact anything would make it lose pressure apart from the HG.

It cant still be an air lock and anyhow its losing water so its going somewhere,  when the engine is running the pressure could force gasses past the gasket into the water ways , as the engine cools it could draw water back in. 

Compression check might confirm it but I still think you should move it on

That's what I thought, if coolant was leaking then the system shouldn't hold pressure.

I'm not sure it is losing it though, what is missing from the radiator is in the expansion tank, it hasn't drawn it back into the system once it's cooled, which to me suggests that there is air in the system stopping it? Thinking about it this started (the level dropping in the radiator) since I fitted the new cap, maybe I should put the old one back on and see if it still does it, I suspect it will and it's just coincidence.

The garage that checked the coolant system also did a headgasket test, which it passed.

Dunno then , its a mystery , one thing for sure its not a straightforward or easy fix so my advice stands, you only changed the red cap due to losing water iirc 

To start with, I think it was last August I noticed the coolant level had dropped just before we went away, I topped it up and then forgot about it. When I checked again in September, maybe October it had dropped again to below the minimum line. I kept topping it up every few days but it kept dropping but it could be like you said maybe it's just fussy about where the level is. Until then I didn't check it that often but when I did it was always somewhere between min and max.

After a couple of weeks of the above it started doing the opposite and the expansion tank filled up but the level in the radiator stayed the same. It was for this reason I got the new cap, I thought it was something to do with the pressure or an air leak so got it to try. I then tried bleeding it a couple of times and it seems to have got worse, with the radiator losing coolant now, which seems to be in the expansion tank cos it's not been drawn back in.

I've just been reading this and it suggests about checking the expansion tank and hose, which I could do - http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2286919/radiator-fluid-not-being-sucked-back-into-the-engine-when-it-cools

I think you are right though, it's probably going to be a ball ache to find and sort the problem so it's got to go.

If it can maintain pressure in a pressure test it cant be the matrix.

Mine passed the static pressure test but it had a tiny pin hole so the measured test remained giving a positive "result". Once the engine got hot the pressure increased and it escaped as a very fine mist that caused the fogging on the inside and the coolant level going down.

I'm just trying to help Rich save some time effort cash and hassle

The thing is the car isn't fogging unless it's raining, if it was the matrix it should fog all the time and the coolant in the radiator is going down and the expansion tank is filling right up. If it was the matrix leaking then I don't think air can get back into the system that way? The radiator should still draw the coolant back from the expansion tank?

The last couple of times I've used the car I have been syphoning the coolant from the expansion tank to the radiator so it's full. Yesterday when I checked the radiator it was still full so I used the car but checking it this morning it had gone down again. I didn't have time to syphon it so used it how it is. Also after topping up the radiator with the coolant from the tank the level in that had gone down. When I put the kseal in I made sure the radiator was full and the expansion tank was on maximum so it looks like it is still losing some.

If it warms up I might bypass the matrix but I think it's a waste of time, I'm certain this is the headgasket.

If it is then wouldn't it be going in the combustion chamber and if so wouldn't the car run like a dog?

Funny you say that as going to work it felt slightly lumpy/jerky sometimes but I'm not sure if that was me or it was the cold. I don't drive it that often so I'm not sure if that is normal or not.

If it was the matrix or any other leak the kseal should've stopped that?

I emailed the guys who looked at it last year and asked what tests they would've done. As it was a freebie they don't have a record of the work but he said definitely a sniff and a system pressure test, both passed. They may have done a cylinder leak test, which I think is what you're referring to as a compression test but they can't be sure. If I want them to take another look as the problem seems to have got worse then they will, again for no charge. Even if they confirm it is the headgasket, I won't be repairing it, but at least I'll know what it is.

How low can the coolant in the radiator go before problems arise? It's dropped again when I checked this morning but I was late so chanced it and it was fine. Once the car has cooled tonight I'll transfer the coolant from the expansion tank and note the level again afterwards but I'd imagine it will be lower.

There was loads of white smoke when starting the car as it's cold but someone mentioned does it smell sweet and with there being so much of it yes it does. Once it had cleared then I couldn't really smell it.

Think I had better stop using the car then! The more I use it the worse it will get and I'd have no chance of px'ing it then.

I would break it for spares but don't think I'd get much and after doing the Mondeo I don't think I can be arsed with that again.

Is it a good idea to just p/ex it first against whoever will give you the most money for it? And then p/ex that for the car you really want? Sounds like it would be smart to shift this asap, and approaching the end of January could be just about the best time to do it (January is a notoriously poor sales month).

Is it a good idea to just p/ex it first against whoever will give you the most money for it? And then p/ex that for the car you really want? Sounds like it would be smart to shift this asap, and approaching the end of January could be just about the best time to do it (January is a notoriously poor sales month).

That was my thinking too, just look for something that is £2k to use as a runabout. I don't want to px it for a car that is too cheap in case it arouses suspicions as to why I'm getting rid of it!

Plus it's a colder time of year....