Honda Civic 1.6. SE Executive Auto

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

I checked the oil this morning before we leave for Norfolk later and it was showing 2/3 on the dip stick. Now in the year we've had the car it's not used a drop and I checked it when we went up there 3 weeks ago, I'm certain it was on or just under the max line. There is no sign of leaks around the engine and I can't see any from underneath but will have to jack it up and look properly. What could cause a sudden use of oil if it wasn't leaking? :unsure:

As a general rule if you do not use more than 1qt per 1k miles there is nothing to worry about. This is the spec most manufactures work to for oil consumption before they start investigating a consumption issue.

That being said... have you done any high revving or loading lately? That tends to lead to oil consumption. If it's not leaking it's being burnt. Bad rings can cause it, bad valve seals. There are ways to find out the culprit if it's bad enough. But I wouldn't worry about it. A bad PCV valve can increase consumption too.

As long as you are not burning 1qt every thousand miles you don't usually have anything to worry about =)

In my car I go through a qt every 3k miles or so.

lol, cheers Steve but I think viper is younger than me, maybe an American term?

Since June we have done quite abit of mileage with luggage, so it could be that. When I drive I do like to use kickdown alot aswell!

But it hasn't used a drop since last year so just got me wondering. I'll keep an eye on it.

If my car used a quart of oil every 3k I'd be expecting to be driving a wankel or a goosed engine that much oil consumption needs further investigation as to where it's going it should not be ignored willy nilly

If the engine is burning that much then the cat won't last long

Also US quarts are different to imperial UK quarts

I am on the throttle a lot and use light weight oil (running 20+ PSI on the turbo atm). I'm not worried where my oil is going. I know exactly where. I have to empty my catchcan every month or so, it probably only holds about 50mil or so.

3k for 1 qt is nothing to worry about. Tells me that I have slightly worn rings and I get a bit of seepage from my oil pump. Compression is 160 across the board. If someone had a leakdown tester I could see exactly where the problem is(I suspect the rings are a little loose, it's a loose engine anyways). I also have slight fuel dilution with the fuel getting into the oil, which pretty much every turbo user gets if they actually use their car since turbo cars run richer than N/A cars. Sure I could chase it, but how much money am I going to spend chasing a problem that isn't really a problem? The engine won't blow up on me b/c I use a little bit of oil. Is it ideal? No, but there is no way I am going to rebuild an engine because of it.

I think it's risky to assume its the rings, its not that that level of oil consumption is bad although i wouldnt be happy with it personally its that it warrants further investigation where in oxon are you I have a leak down tester

fwiw my knackered evo engine had 160psi across the board and didnt use any oil

Thanks for the offer! I don't have a compressor either :o :thumbsdown_anim: Is why I don't have a leakdown tester LOL Between the two that would be a good penny. I have been consuming that much for a few years now.

Long story short the car was parked stateside... I gave my brother the keys to run it now and again until I could ship it... Sounds like he was 'starting' it most weekends, which involved trips to the local street strip.... since then it's burned oil. My brother never understood the concept of 'warm-up or 'cool-down'. To him if the thing ticked over the engine was good for a few redline runs... :angry2: That was a good 50k miles ago now.

What happened when you took out the engine?

Getting WAY OT here LOL

How far you from Milton Keynes? Maybe Tony would let us have a WIM 'Have a Leak' day?! :whistle:

I don't think I need the leakdown b/c of the oil consumption, it's just good maintenance for a performance engine and something that should be done regularly IMO. Should analyse my oil too to check for wear, but being cheap :crying_anim02:

lol, I don't think it's anything to worry about ATM. Checked the oil yesterday after 200 miles of driving and it hasn't used any. Did 150 miles going home last night and I will check it again in the morning.

We did only get about 32mpg though and had no more luggage than we normally do. We did have the air con on alot though now it's been regassed so I suspect that is the cause!

• 2 weeks later...

I spent Monday cleaning the Civic (it's been a while!) and applied some glass sealant to the windscreen. On Tuesday the missus joined the motorway behind a flatbed lorry carrying a JCB when all of this dried mud/stones flew off it and onto the front of the car. The screen now has hundred of tiny pin head sized chips!! :( I've not driven the car meself yet but it might be abit distracting now, do you think this would warrant getting the screen replaced on the insurance or wouldn't they cover this?

Yes I can feel them. Going away tomorrow so will see what it's like on long distance driving. My screen on the Corolla is pretty bad, whoever had the car previously either didn't change the wipers or used an ice scraper on it, there are scratches everywhere, very annoying!!

I've heard this several times but as I don't really ever use an ice scraper don't have any personal experience - can plastic actually scratch glass?

But if the damage is obscuring vision, I can't see how an insurance company could refuse to change it.

By itself I doubt it. If something was stuck in the blade edge it's a possibility.

• 1 month later...

Oil change needs doing but the filter is halfway up the back of the engine. Last time I changed it I got oil all down my sleeve and arm, was a right mess. Anyone got any tips on how to remove it without making a mess?

Put a carrier bag round the filter as you undo it?

I thought about that but the filter is mounted horizontally so as you unscrew it oil just runs straight down the back of the engine and along your arm as you lift the filter off to hold it upwards.

From memory there isn't much space so don't think I will. I'll just wrap an old rag around it and use a carrier bag, hopefully it will absorb the oil then and won't make as much of a mess.