Honda Civic 1.6. SE Executive Auto

Rich

No I didn't bypass the matrix, I was hoping I wouldn't need to if I got the system tested.

Haven't used the car today but the inside of the windscreen is dripping wet. It's difficult to see but it looks like the coolant level is high in the expansion tank again. I also checked the radiator and the level is below the filler neck, which it's never done before.

I could bypass the matrix but I'm tempted to just put some k-seal in and see what happens. I can't really sell it like this, I was expecting to get no more than £1k if it was ok. If I say there is a problem I'll probably only get a couple of hundred.

I don't mind doing that trading it in but I'll feel guilty selling it privately, unless the kseal does the job and it starts behaving normally. It's not like I can sell it now anyway with the windows getting heavy condensation during the test drive!!

Even if I bypass the matrix to see if that is the problem I'm not going to change it, it's just too much hassle and expense.

It's not your responsibility if you sell it private either. Put a fan heater in the car to dry it out. Turn the car heater off until the test drive and just say you don't know much about cars it goes in the garage or to a  friend for service and things.

Happy to pass it to a trader but not a punter ? ;)

It would be up to them to check it over before selling it on though and wouldn't be my responsibility.

It would be up to ANY potential buyer to check it over before buying , its no different , buyer beware works both ways

Its nice to have integrity but as long as you understand its money just going to be wasted 

I know I'd be losing money if I mention it but it wouldn't be a great deal, with the mileage (nearly 125k) and the battle scars on the bumpers I think it would be worth around £800. As it's the Executive version it seems to be more sought after than those with standard trim and I've seen ones sell with 50k less miles for up to £1200.

In the 4.5 years we've had it I've replaced 1 caliper, the battery and the front drop links so it's done well. I replaced the aircon condenser in July 2014 and it was working fine until last summer when it keeps stopping after 10 minutes of use. I think it's the compressor clutch at fault but if I can get it working that would be a big selling point on a car this old.

The thing is the coolant is rising/dropping erratically and it doesn't seem to be losing it. I don't think there is a sweet smell in the cabin and it only fogs when it rains, not when it's dry outside.

I ordered some kseal today so when it comes I'll pour it in and see what happens.

I got the kseal, it says ideally pour it directly into the radiator but not on the core. I could remove some coolant from it but to get the whole bottle in it'll probably expose the core. What happens if it does get on the core?

I'd rather not pour it in the expansion tank in case it doesn't get into the system properly.

I removed a small amount of coolant from the radiator and got the whole bottle in so it had gone down quite abit. I found some tubing and removed the excess coolant from the expansion tank too. Went for a 20 minute drive so it can so it's thing and now it's just a matter of waiting. I'll try to only check the levels once a week.

I know it's cold but I've just been out in the other car and the Civic is all fogged up inside. The MX5 and Accord are fine or just have a tiny bit in a couple of windows, so could this be a sign it's damp inside?

I checked the expansion tank level this morning and it's over the maximum mark still (I had it dead on max before driving it yesterday) but the level in the radiator has dropped again! It's below the filler neck and has only just started doing this but the car still warms up ok and doesn't overheat.

Once the kseal has been around the system it then sits at the top waiting to seal any more leaks or it can be flushed out and new coolant added, it does look abit messy with it in!

All of the inside windows were frosty this morning so I haven't used it but will check later for any damp/wet areas in the car, although that might be tricky with how cold it is.

I'm really not happy about selling it privately as it now appears to be getting worse with the rad level dropping too. I might look at px'ing it for a cheap runabout and then get rid of that for something newer.

Thing is you don't know what's wrong so you're hardly being dishonest.

That is true and I've had tests done, which came back ok but I'm paranoid it's going to dump the coolant at some point and the engine will go. I'll keep using it but I think I had better check the radiator before I do every time in case it's got too low. All the signs are there that air is getting in yet the tests say no!

Would a sticky thermostat be detected on a pressure test? Maybe I should remove it and see if it's working properly.

Would an air lock in the system affect a pressure test as well?