Can wider tyres make the steering heavier?

Rich

Just wondering if the width of the tyres can affect how heavy the steering feels? I have gone from 195 to 205 and mine feels slightly heavier, although I can't remember if it was any lighter with the 195!

Just wondering if the width of the tyres can affect how heavy the steering feels? I have gone from 195 to 205 and mine feels slightly heavier, although I can't remember if it was any lighter with the 195!

At speed or whilst stationary?

They *should* feel heavier theoretically as there is more rubber, hence more weight... (unless you have reduced your profile, then I haven't a clue how they interact!) rolleyes_anim.gif

At speed or whilst stationary?

They *should* feel heavier theoretically as there is more rubber, hence more weight... (unless you have reduced your profile, then I haven't a clue how they interact!) rolleyes_anim.gif

While stationary.

I've gone from 195/60/15 to 205/50/16. So if I notice the steering is slightly heavier with this small increase, what about changing to 18's or even 19's. Would the steering feel even heavier?

Or as the width increases but the height decreases does this mean that roughly the same amount of rubber is used to make the tyres?

:thumbsup_anim:

Your asking the wrong person really as this is just what makes logical sense to me....

but!

the larger the contact patch (which you will get with wider tyres) will mean a harder turn whilst stationary.

I might be wrong, but I might be right rolleyes_anim.gif

Yeah I'll wait for Tony or someone to give their view.

Thinking about it that does make sense though...

Many variables with this question so i will define the highlights....

The wider than suggested tyre at low speed dry conditions (maneuvering) will make the steering heavier solely due to the larger contact patch increasing friction. The wider tyre in dry conditions at normal or high speeds would show no discernible difference in the steering other than a more secure feeling due to the increased traction...... But in the wet at low or high speeds the steering will feel much lighter? The reason for this is that the vehicles weight is distributed over a wider area reducing the level of friction within the contact patch, the tyres natural ability to compress water is also reduced since the overall compressive weight is less then designed for that particular vehicle.

Example 1:- Cars racing on ice have tyres as wide as your push bike.

.............2:- F1 cars in the wet leave the track often even on wets.

Next.. The wider tyre would make most Geometry positions redundant for that particular vehicle. The (no discernible) difference in the steering in the dry does have a discernible difference on the traction under braking so for one example the toe tendency will change, normally toward toe out. So the Geometry positions move much deeper into the realm of theoretical.

The most noticeable difference in steering is the overall weight of the wheel and tyre. If this is significantly increased when at medium to high speeds the steering will feel much heavier... how good is your physics?... Basically any rotating mass will resist the temptation to deviate from it's direction of travel, any attempt to deviate will be resisted... So the heavier the mass the grater the resistance.

I think I understood most of that.

What you say about the steering feeling lighter at low or high speed in the wet has been happening to me. I guess most of the 'problems' I think I have are down to the wider tyre. I can feel the road more and the car seems to pull in the direction of the bumps/dips etc.

My front tyres are on 29/30 psi at the moment. I did put them on 33psi just to see what the difference was. They tramlined badly and I got lots of over-steer, so much in fact that I personally felt the car was dangerous to drive as everytime I accelerated/braked the car would try to veer across the road. So I dropped the pressure straight away and they were fine again. I was amazed that such a small difference could have such a big impact. BTW this was in the wet when I tried the higher pressure, in dry conditions they felt fine.

Thanks for the explanation Tony rolleyes_anim.gif

I think I understood most of that.

What you say about the steering feeling lighter at low or high speed in the wet has been happening to me. I guess most of the 'problems' I think I have are down to the wider tyre. I can feel the road more and the car seems to pull in the direction of the bumps/dips etc.

My front tyres are on 29/30 psi at the moment. I did put them on 33psi just to see what the difference was. They tramlined badly and I got lots of over-steer, so much in fact that I personally felt the car was dangerous to drive as everytime I accelerated/braked the car would try to veer across the road. So I dropped the pressure straight away and they were fine again. I was amazed that such a small difference could have such a big impact. BTW this was in the wet when I tried the higher pressure, in dry conditions they felt fine.

Thanks for the explanation Tony rolleyes_anim.gif

Tyres tend to be taken for granted nowadays despite that fact they have the final say between your car and the road.... Recently i dealt with a crashed 350z the accident was due to the new tyres fitted by Nissan, they were the correct size, correct make, speed/ load rating..... Wrong start compound!

bridgestones?

there are so many different bridgestones all of the same size and the markings are so small you need to know where they are to find them, you could go to a tyre dealer and buy a bridgstone re040 and still get the wrong tyre, the compound is reconised by a small group of letters az,cz etc. the start compound is set for particular makes and models, lexus, nissan.

continental do it too for example mercedes use the symbol 'mo'

michelin use the g1 for porsche

bridgestones?

there are so many different bridgestones all of the same size and the markings are so small you need to know where they are to find them, you could go to a tyre dealer and buy a bridgstone re040 and still get the wrong tyre, the compound is reconised by a small group of letters az,cz etc. the start compound is set for particular makes and models, lexus, nissan.

continental do it too for example mercedes use the symbol 'mo'

michelin use the g1 for porsche

Correct Dan.... This mistake cost Nissan a car?..... They gave the owner another car... :thumbsup_anim:

Tony, what is meant by 'start compound', I haven't heard of this before?

So how do you find out which compound should be used for which vehicles? :thumbsup_anim:

A new tyre in the wet grips as well as a bald tyre. Some tyre manufacturers develop their tyres specifically to suit a particular car complimenting the cars performance. But it is also realized that initially the new tyre in the wet will handle pants, so the start compound is as soft as the rubber on your pencil. This commands quicker rises in temperature and allows the tyre to "scrub in" much faster. As for the compound codes?.... Just be wise.