K&N Replacement Panel Filters

Been looking at air filters for the Civic, an OEM one from a motorfactors is around £15. On ebay you can buy a K&N for £35 delivered and they can be washed rather than replace. Anyone used these, are they worth the money over buying one every year? How do you normally wash and dry these as well?

Been looking at air filters for the Civic, an OEM one from a motorfactors is around £15. On ebay you can buy a K&N for £35 delivered and they can be washed rather than replace. Anyone used these, are they worth the money over buying one every year? How do you normally wash and dry these as well?

Hi mate..

I had one in my old Lexus IS200..gave me slightly better MPG but not really much more oomph....Did sound better than OEM though. :)

The way you clean it is by spraying it with the proper K&N cleaner spray ( think you can buy the K&N cleaner/oil kits on Ebay ) and then run it under cold water..do this a few times and it gets nice and clean then let it air dry.. :)

I wasn't looking at them for the performance side but if you get slightly better MPG that's a bonus :) Compared to buying throw away filters it seems cheaper in the long run getting a K&N.

I've heard about oiling them, what does this do stop it drying out? I take it leaving overnight to air dry is long enough so you don't have to be without the car. Unless I keep the old filter for when I'm cleaning it :)

Think I'll get one then once the MOT is out the way in a couple of weeks :(

I have them in both the Skodas , as you say its a better long term bet mind you the service interval on the air filter is every 5 years or 60,000 miles (same as cambelt) which is too long imo , i only clean them every 20,000 miles or so

As a performance mod its a fail since they add no hp at all (on my cars ) but i suspect they maintain performance longer and they do make a difference to mpg , both cars tend to average around 1mpg more since fitting

No that won't be happening!! A good detail is on the cards but it shall be staying standard :D

Yeah yeah you say that now. :whistle: ..the bug will bite... :D

It's not my car so I doubt it will be modded, can't say the same for my next motor though! :tongue2:

Yeah I know but what are the chances of them looking in the air box anyway!

personally (and this is simply my opinion) i wouldnt risk it, essentially you would become an uninsured driver.

I never said I would risk it ;) Just what are the chances of them checking.

It's the same as fitting different brand of tyres to what the car came with out of the factory or fitting those flat style wiper blades, they're different to OEM. They could refuse insurance on those but don't, I'd imagine it's the same for this kind of filter.