Here it is, the Honda Civic

Rich

Picked it up at lunchtime. I took it out around the block first just to double check everything and it seemed fine so the deal was done. I can't believe how quiet it is and it's such a comfortable ride. It needs a good detail but the only thing that really needs looking at is the scuff on the bumper and a small keyed mark on the boot lid by the badge but that isn't too noticeable. Might have a couple of issues but will post about them separately.

I also found a bag in the boot with a warning triangle, reflective jacket, maps of Europe etc so it seems the last owner drove it over there alot. They bought it in August 2009 and done 40k miles in it, it's just turned on 94k. They also had a handsfree kit fitted and there's a cable that goes behind the dash. I don't really want to start ripping the whole kit out so if I cut it, cover it in insulation tape will that be?

The last service was done 1,500 miles ago, should I do another one? They've been done at 12k mile intervals but you can never be to sure as to what they've actually changed or the parts they've used (was done by a garage).

civic_01.jpg

civic_02.jpg

civic_03.jpg

civic_04.jpg

civic_05.jpg

civic_06.jpg

IMAG0609.jpg

IMAG0616.jpg

They're crappy camera phone photos, I will get some better ones after a wash.

It's a stamp in the book for the last service but I don't have a report sheet. I do for the other services and cambelt kit that was done 25k miles ago.

The oil is very clean looking so it's not old stuff in there, I'll feel it though and see what it's like. I'll probably check and change the pollen filter as the aircon is abit stinky, might need a regass as well, it's not freezing cold how I like it!

Also has 4 Pirelli P6000 tyres that are half worn, they seem to grip very well in the dry...will be interesting to see what they're like in the wet though.

The oil is very clean looking so it's not old stuff in there, I'll feel it though and see what it's like. I'll probably check and change the pollen filter as the aircon is abit stinky, might need a regass as well, it's not freezing cold how I like it!

Also has 4 Pirelli P6000 tyres that are half worn, they seem to grip very well in the dry...will be interesting to see what they're like in the wet though.

from my experiance P6000 = ditch finders. but then again it was a RWD car they where fitted on.

Looks a nice motor. I'd be inclined to remove the speedo binnacle to get to the phone wires and see if you can then disconnect them where they are joined, attached or spliced in. Presumably it goes into the radio as well or is there a separate speaker as well?

Compared to the others we've seen it's one of the better condition ones and the cheapest of the lot as well :D

Yeah I'm assuming they go to the radio so will have a look. There is something on the headlining by the light, might be a speaker or mic. The wire for that goes up behind where the light unit is so will need to take that out and see where it goes.

Looks like this is the handsfree kit so gives me an idea of what to remove. They don't seem to sell for much now as the phone it's for is quite old so might just bin it. Don't know if I can be bothered to remove it all to make a fiver.

Yeah think I will, just gonna rip it out, it looks ugly! :(

TBH I don't think the missus needs a handsfree kit, she rarely needs to answer the phone when driving.

SWMBO has said she hears a noise!! It's a grinding noise when steering left but I can't hear it meself so not so sure.

Doesn't do it if you steer left when the car isn't moving or if you stop at a junction and then pull out left. Only does it when moving round a left hand bend.

I'll have a look when it's on the ramps for the geo but what could this be?

Nice motor but why a Civic, they're associated with the older generation aren't they?

No, plenty of young people drive them :(

CV joint - find a quiet car park put if on full lock and listen for a knocking noise

Wheel bearing , jack wheel up and feel for movement

Brake pads rubbing - probably most likely is the car hasnt been used much for a while

I did think CV joint but that's usually associated with a clicking noise and I tested it on lock to lock when we viewed it. I'll check it again though to make sure.

Don't the bearings make a humming noise if they've gone?

I also thought about the brakes, maybe a stone caught somewhere but never thought about the pads rubbing. I think they'd had the car a while so could be a build up of rust? Maybe some harding braking will sort it.

Clicking noise is usually a driveshaft. Grinding could be brakes, bearing etc. Not too hard to diagnose if you know of a decent garage to take it to :D

I had no end of CV joint/driveshaft problems on the Mondeo, which were clicking noises.

It's braking ok though, in a straight line etc. This grinding noise must be quiet cos I can't even hear it so hopefully nothing major.

How are the bearings changed on the Civic, pressed in like most others?

I'll get you to have a poke about on Thursday then ;)

Yeah they are mate, you get alot of car for your money :D

I got the missus to check the noise again today she said it is more of a rubbing noise, so could be the brakes. There was an advisory on the last MOT that the discs were lipped so I'm wondering if they've fitted new pads to old discs. If this is the problem how comes it only does it when steering around a bend?

yep, happens quite a lot really.

i would suggest going around all 4 callipers, removing the pads / disks and giving them a good wire brush to get any old material off the caliper. maybe even paint them to stop corrosion.

i would think its a brake pad scuffing the disc as your turning.