replacing only one shock absorber!

old cruiser

Got Pete at Wim to do a full Geo last saturday on my Civic Type-S and all was good with that, however had to take the car into dealer yesterday for faulty air-con and while they had it there asked them to investigate again!! this slight knock I've been getting for the last couple of weeks, anyway they tell me it's one of the front shocks and only want to replace that one, however, my feeling is that they should be replacing as a pair, as the difference in damping effect could upset the handling / characteristics of the car by only changing the one, especially as the car has done nearly 60,000 miles, the other one is probably passed it's sell by date anyway!! annoying thing is that if and when they replace them you just know they're not gonna set the camber back up as Pete set it , so will be another trip to Wim for that to be checked methinks!!

What's your thoughts on this Guys am I right in thinking they should be changing both?

Cheers Pete

Unless i'm having a brain fart the Civic front camber is fixed :)

All I can say Tony is here is a snippit taken from a honda manual albeit from a 2002 copy , mine is a 2004/05 model would have thought it would be the same? ; as below:

The suspension can be adjusted for front camber, front toe and rear toe. However, each of these adjustments are interrelated to each other. For example, when you adjust toe, the camber changes. Therefore, you must adjust the front wheel alignment whenever you adjust camber or toe.

Cheers Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Well managed to convince the dealer; that as far as I'm concerned it's not good practice to change the the one shock absorber and they have finally agreed to change both. So as said earlier , I'll no doubt be back down at some point for camber recheck!

Cheers Pete

Probably a good question mate, all I can say is that last owner had issues with wear occuring on the inside of nearside tyre, so can only guess this was a camber issue?

Cheers Pete

The Civic we're picking up tomorrow had advisories for uneven wear on the inside, which is probably down to the camber. It's had newer tyres fitted but I doubt a geo was done on the car or it probably just had 'tracking'!

I should've worded it better though, I wasn't worried about any wear issues as WIM can sort those, I was more interested in the handling side. My only experience of camber is with a crappy aftermarket kit, which also optimised the castor angle. It really upset the handling. So I was interested to know whether there is a noticeable difference in handling when the camber is reset, especially if it's out alot in the first place.

Thing to remember is this if it's adjustable then by design it's expected to go wrong.

But if it had been made fixed there shouldn't be any issues unless the car was then lowered?