DIY alloy wheel spraying

Rich

I don't think you even need to use hammerite, I've seen loads of examples where people have used car paint to get nice metallic finishes. And yes a few coats of lacquer on top.

PM Bandit on OJC, he refurbed his alloys himself with black centres and a polished face - they looked stunning :D

if you laquer matt black it wont be matt anymore.... it will be gloss black!

prepairing the area correctly should allow you to do the job with the tyres on, tape cleanly and carefuly and all should be ok, but obviously if you can get the tyres off you will be able to get a better edge finish

Awesome thanks for the links, great guide to follow as well...I might go with matt black as well, would I still laquer?

Also does it make a difference doing it with or without the tyre on?

I've seen threads with the tyre on so I think you can do it that way too - just let the air out and push the edge of the tyre away from the rim (although I have tried this and it's bl00dy hard with low profile tyres :lol: )

I'd still lacquer to protect the paint finish from the elements, especially the salt during winter. Just use a matt clearcoat if you are going for matt black :)

That looks ideal actually, a couple of coats of primer and 2 or 3 of that. I'm not looking for the perfect finish just something different. The wheels are ford ones and I think they will look out of place with the other mods.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at getting this but can't decide if I should go for matt or gloss. The wheels might not even need painting as they're rust free so might just polish up without the paint. The wheels nuts are rusty though so need a spray. They do a wheel paint as well but only in silver.

• 2 months later...

Right I need to get these done now, keep putting it off. Since I've cleaned them and found rust on 3 of the rims I'm going to sand this off, paint them with some bilt hamber rust protector I have left and then spray with hammerite smooth. I just want them to look tidy rather than do a perfect job.

Now, how can I work out how many spray cans I need, I'm thinking 2 maybe 3 to do 2 layers on each?

Also where is the cheapest place to buy them, seen 3 cans on ebay for £21 delivered, which seems the best deal so far? Places like Halfords and B&Q want around £12 each.

Right I need to get these done now, keep putting it off. Since I've cleaned them and found rust on 3 of the rims I'm going to sand this off, paint them with some bilt hamber rust protector I have left and then spray with hammerite smooth. I just want them to look tidy rather than do a perfect job.

Now, how can I work out how many spray cans I need, I'm thinking 2 maybe 3 to do 2 layers on each?

Also where is the cheapest place to buy them, seen 3 cans on ebay for £21 delivered, which seems the best deal so far? Places like Halfords and B&Q want around £12 each.

I have a tin of Plastidip and primer on order, should arrive tomorrow. Was going to spray my winter rims for the IS200 Sport in orange, rather than black, but the Plastidip I have on order is green. It's a green car so should look OK, but it's primarily for salt protection and I can peel it off if it's damaged or I get fed up with the colour. http://www.plastidip.co.uk/eStore/index.cf...CFYYOfAodGlQ1vg

There's a few things around the garden and in my garage that would benefit from a coat of Plastdip, which was another reason for choosing green. I've got the spraying equipment for the wheels, but it can be brushed on and is also ideal for dipping so I can re-do the handles on secateurs, pliers, etc.

I did look at that stuff but I'm not sure how it will look on the wheels :huh: I will still need to buy aerosols as well cos I don't have a sprayer so think I will get the hammerite.