Stupid question alert!

Pretty sure it said that, I'll put the pages up tonight. I know they limited the gearing but why would they suggest using D2 or 3 for going up/downhill? The only thing I can think of is so you use engine braking rather than riding the foot brake, which it does warn about.

Dazz...no sport button, but hopefully it will be ok to overtake it in, just hope it doesn't hesitate!

Does it not have the "kick down" like most of the auto boxes on cars.?

That should drop a few gears and help you over take.

I tried the 'kick down' today and yes it works, takes a second to change down before accelerating faster but it picks up speed quick enough! ;)

This is what the handbook says about it...

auto_manual_01.jpg

auto_manual_02.jpg

Ahh it looks as though the gearbox in the civic is different to the one in the Lexus (and more intelligent!) as "2" locks the gearbox in second gear which would be useful on snow and ice.

But otherwise I really don't think you'll shift it out of "D" much, see how it goes, you'll start to play about with it the more you get used to the car :)

I take it the Lexus downshifts to 1st as well when put in 2nd? Yeah I'm sure you're right, once I get use to it I'll play about with them. Yesterday I kept going for the stick sometimes so I could get ready to change grear then remembered I don't need to!! :)

ER. the ECU for the autobox in the civic is an intelligent one too :angry2:. they learn your driving style, so if your a granny and bearly touch the throttle the gear box will always change up as early as possible. but if you start booting it about asking it to drop a gear or two, it will learn and make the transition / reaction smoother and faster :)

I take it the Lexus downshifts to 1st as well when put in 2nd? Yeah I'm sure you're right, once I get use to it I'll play about with them. Yesterday I kept going for the stick sometimes so I could get ready to change grear then remembered I don't need to!! :)

Yep "2" on my car just restricts the box to a max of second gear, but can still shift down to 1st.

ER. the ECU for the autobox in the civic is an intelligent one too :angry2:. they learn your driving style, so if your a granny and bearly touch the throttle the gear box will always change up as early as possible. but if you start booting it about asking it to drop a gear or two, it will learn and make the transition / reaction smoother and faster :)

That's interesting to know...so does the ECU automatically re-learn when a new owner has the car?

Yep "2" on my car just restricts the box to a max of second gear, but can still shift down to 1st.

I guess that's why 2nd on the Civic is handy for snow, the last thing you want when trying to get out of a slippery road is the box keep changing up and down.

That's interesting to know...so does the ECU automatically re-learn when a new owner has the car?

I guess that's why 2nd on the Civic is handy for snow, the last thing you want when trying to get out of a slippery road is the box keep changing up and down.

Yep it learns over time and will adjust - if you want to speed up the process you can reset the ECU so it starts learning afresh straight away.

That would be really useful, tyres are a key issue but not being able to start in 2nd makes the IS200 quite useless in snow.

• 2 years later...

I thought I would ask this question in this thread to save starting a new one.

The Honda Accord has a semi auto box. If I put it in first does the gearbox still automatically change gear for me unless I decide to up or down shift myself - basically I don't need to shift every gear in this mode, is that right? Would using it this way make the car accelerate faster as you can control when you shift to the revs?

Depends between cars normally but I'd say if you put it in 1st it'll stay in 1st. However if you have it in 4th it'll go up and down the box but won't go above 4th. This is how every auto with manual override I've driven has worked.

It is a normal auto isn't it? So for normal driving you'd put it in D?

Yes it has the normal 'D' as well and the semi auto. You move the lever over to the right from 'D' and change up and down. I tried it the other day but only at low speed.

If you were doing say 60mph in 'D' and fancied swapping to the semi auto could you do it at that speed?

I'll have to read the handbook when I get one to see how it works exactly.

Yes you can swap into manual mode at speed, it'll just select the most appropriate gear. But again I'm pretty sure the manual mode will set a gear limit rather than a fixed gear, but it could of course be either.

I remember when I've driven semi-auto Lexus cars, it would always select 4 when you moved it over to manual mode but the Honda probably behaves differently.

Rich. the honda box is fairly smart...

select 1 it stays in 1st ect. this is for towing so you dont kill your brakes going down a hill with no engine braking.

if you are in 4th it will utilise all gears up to 4th.

D will use all gears. if you want to get going the kickdown on the autobox ia pretty good and it doesnt take long to swop cogs.