Budget tyres?

Paul TVR

As posted in my other topic I'm looking for a pair of tyres for the Rover, now this is just the runabout and I don't want to spend a fortune on pukka tyres for it. so the question is I can get a budget tyre from Blackcircles for £42 a corner, that's a bit of a saving over the Falkens which are fitted at the moment, the tyres are speed rated etc but are budgets a bad idea? When I was fitting them some of the budget brands like marshal etc were very good quality yet others looked worst than a remould lol. Are they ok now or should I pay double for a decent make?

the ones i would avaoid are:

camac (probably not available in your size anyway)

fullrun.. i have these tyres on the rear of my own car and they are imposible to ballence, and

as grippy as butter when the road is wet.

avon.. they suffer from deforming sidewalls and tread distortion.

good budget brands if you can find them cheap:

nankang

toyo

falken

maxxis

Interesting you say Toyo's are a budget as they seem to be used as original equipment on TVR's now. I also thought the Marshals and Kuhmo were a good tyre, also Kelly which seemed to be nearly identical to their sister branded Goodyear's. do they still make Kelly tyres as never see them about anymore?

As posted in my other topic I'm looking for a pair of tyres for the Rover, now this is just the runabout and I don't want to spend a fortune on pukka tyres for it. so the question is I can get a budget tyre from Blackcircles for £42 a corner, that's a bit of a saving over the Falkens which are fitted at the moment, the tyres are speed rated etc but are budgets a bad idea? When I was fitting them some of the budget brands like marshal etc were very good quality yet others looked worst than a remould lol. Are they ok now or should I pay double for a decent make?

The tyres (E) mark means it complies with all the UK requirements, other information visible on the tyre like temperature and wear rates suggests build quality and life expectancy... Remember the only thing we make in the UK is houses for immigrants and redundancies so even a well known brand is as imported as the rest!... Another thing to note, all tyres sold in the UK have a five year manufacturers guarantee so says the law :D

Interesting you say Toyo's are a budget as they seem to be used as original equipment on TVR's now. I also thought the Marshals and Kuhmo were a good tyre, also Kelly which seemed to be nearly identical to their sister branded Goodyear's. do they still make Kelly tyres as never see them about anymore?

Has anyone used Toyo TR-1's? I'm about to purchase a set for my Lexus IS250 and they appear to have mixed reviews. Some like them a lot but others say they are not so good in the wet (contrary to their press release). Peeps have compared them unfavourably against Bridgestones SO2's, and say they are a cheap tyre and therefore not the best (don't understand this line of reasoning as the price difference isn't that great). I understand they are a softer compound than most, but I don't mind sacrificing longevity for grip.

Has anyone used Toyo TR-1's? I'm about to purchase a set for my Lexus IS250 and they appear to have mixed reviews. Some like them a lot but others say they are not so good in the wet (contrary to their press release). Peeps have compared them unfavourably against Bridgestones SO2's, and say they are a cheap tyre and therefore not the best (don't understand this line of reasoning as the price difference isn't that great). I understand they are a softer compound than most, but I don't mind sacrificing longevity for grip.

Lots of the TVR owners report that the sidewalls are softer so they need a bit of extra pressure but they grip well, other than that I've had not personal experience.

I have them on my Tezza and they are very good, dry and wet..... will be getting them again next time round :lol:

T1-R cheap???.... i don't think so....

Compared to a high level bridgestone or michelin the T1-R is a budget tyre and performs accordingly.

MR2 drivers seem to love them but i'd certianly not put them in the same bracket as an S02 or pilot sport.

I used to run some Nexen 3000's on my mx5, and they were suprisingly good, but the best ones are the Goodyear Eagle F1's (GSD3's) but for value for money, I'd say the nexens are good, as they lasted well and in my opinion were a lot better than the mazda fitted bridgestones...