Steering not returning to centre on my BMW e46. What causes it?

Anees

Hi guys,

Hope you are well.

My BMW e46 330D has felt loose and wondering for a while and the steering has been slow returning back to centre with a dead feeling in the centre.

What is normally the cause of a car where the steering does not return to centre and just stays where it was last positions? My dads Honda Civic is suffering from the same problem actually.

This week the car has had:

New Shocks

New Springs

New Tie Rods

New Track Rods

New Front Wishbones with bushes

as well as a new clutch, flywheel and slave bearing

Car has Vredestein Ultra Sessanta Tyres all round.

The car feels better with the improvements but still feels loose and I can turn the steering quite a large amount (almost a qtr turn) when travelling before the wheels do anything. We have had another look and are thinking steering rack is to blame. It does have some play and the car has done 106K miles. Obviously the geometry is all over the place too but since I have spent so much anyway I am thinking I may as well spend the extra and get a steering rack too and be done with it before I get the geometry setup again.

Thinking of getting this one:

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...id=autobitz2007

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E46-3-SERIES-199...#ht_2382wt_1139

I know in the steering column their is a U-joint that wears out but that was replaced about 2 years ago/20K miles so should still be fine but will be checked too.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Anees ;)

Anees does the car have EPS ( Electronince Power Steering )

Hi Tony,

Trust things are well.

No the car has mechanical power steering as far as I know.

My dads Honda Civic (which also has the same problem) is electric however.

Thanks

Anees ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Changed the rack and steering is much tighter now so that is good and the steering is coming back to the centre more BUT still not perfect.

I think the rest of the issue is probably geometry related so based on Tony's recommendations on this forum I have just booked the car in at:

Nigel Lang's Garage

164 Crook Street

Bolton

BL3 6AS

Tel: 01204 392995

tomorrow for a full geometry. I could obviously have gone to Drury Lane like I normally do but since Tony is recommending this place in Bolton it would be rude not to try them :D

Make sure they are aware of our link.

Had a nice long chat with the guy who does the Geometry (Peter) who is a member on here too so they are well aware :P

Sure I will report good things tomorrow :D

The Lang's team came down and stayed over for the supercar meet. Of all the centres i have in my network i would say Lang's are definitely top of the list, "fire and forget" if the car is going there...... This is also supported by the fact Peter bothered to join the wim forum in his own time and maybe pickup a few tips.