How do you 'bleed' the power steering?

An IS200 had real problems with the steering not returning when deviated to the right...Geo was set and ok... tyres and suspension were checked and ok.....baffled i suggested the power steering fluid should be 'flushed'... the car went into Lexus and they did the deed.... now the problem has gone :o ..steering is now light and returns as it should... the cost i am not sure...

What i would like to know is 'how' do you 'flush' the power steering?... are there do's and dont's if yes what are they?

Knowledge base is valuable but this is not the area i intended.... is there a bleed valve on the rack that allows the fluid to be flushed 'through' the internal transfer valves and associated plumbing? rather than just the reserve reservoir.

Tony i have searched under my car for bleed valves....but there are none so its bazzas way or the highway. :lol:

Well if this is true...sobeit....but i am not satisfied....... :unsure:

We all know there are deliberate methods to replace fluids within the car, albeit oil or radiator.... the steering fluid has a 'use by date' so i assume there is a method to renew (all) the fluid not just the reservoir.....see my point!

Would have thought that the method described would flush all fluid as the pipe being removed is the return to the reservoir. The fluid must circulate round the system and then into the catch tank.

Now that makes sense.. i assume then it's a simple case of removing the return feed, and keep topping up the reservoir.... but do you need to turn the steering left and right during the process?

the system is bleed by turning from lock to lock untill the required level is shown on the pot

fluid change is done by draining the system, the pump shouldnt be used to empty the system as power steering pumps overheat very quickly if not lubricated by oil

the system is bleed by turning from lock to lock untill the required level is shown on the pot

fluid change is done by draining the system, the pump shouldn't be used to empty the system as power steering pumps overheat very quickly if not lubricated by oil

In research i was warned not to have the engine running or turn the steering since the pressure from the pump would overwhelm the passive return feed? and result in everyone covered in oil..

I agree with you and feel the pump should 'purge' the steering under pressure.. any thoughts on this 'don't do it' warning?