Second generation Lexus IS

Tango

Just noticed a post on the American site that says the new Is doesn't have any Castor and Camber adjustment :o Can this be correct?

Only toe??? :(

Can we have a link!.... I does seem odd that the Camber adjustment has been removed, for the IS there was never a direct Castor adjustment. Indirect compensation at the Camber allowed Castor correction to UK spec, if as you say this ability has been removed then wim will be very busy indeed!....Oh dear

elongate the hole at the strut top mount :P bit a of a bodge i know i wouldnt recomend it but my mates civic is lowered 90mm on 15" rims and the camber was almost horizontal!! sits great now.

Hardly a salable prospect in reality.... Dan your machine has live up-dates, can you see if the latest version is adjustable.

Can we have a link!.... I does seem odd that the Camber adjustment has been removed, for the IS there was never a direct Castor adjustment. Indirect compensation at the Camber allowed Castor correction to UK spec, if as you say this ability has been removed then wim will be very busy indeed!....Oh dear

The link probably wouldn't be any good as it's to the US Club Lexus site, not LOC. But here's a copy, complete with original spelling errors:

[

color=#3366FF]My Eibachs were installed months ago, and it still rides like stock to me. There aren't any alignment ajustmest that can be made to fix a 2IS that drifts left or right since caster and camber aren't adjustable. Well, I guess you could screw up the rear toe enough that it would drift due to "dog tracking", but that wouldn't be a side effect of lowering springs. From the before / after aligment specs I've seen on CL after installing Eibachs, there is just a slight change in front and rear toe. Getting it aligned will just extend tire life a bit, but shouldn't effect handling or ride quality at all.
[/color]

There's been a lot of second generation IS's lowered in the States as Eibach, Road Magnet, Tanabe etc. have all produced lowering springs for the 250 and 350. Coilovers are also now available but not so many peeps have fitted as yet. Most of the American posts say they haven't bothered with a geometry check and have had no problems with handling or uneven tire wear...and those that do mention geometry checks have not provided any detail of adjustments made, if any. I don't understand this as thought that any lowering would change the camber angle wouldn't it?

Here's the reply I got from my question:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by TangoC

Why isn't caster and camber adjustable on the 2IS?

Lexus just didn't think it was important enough. I've only had 1 car in my life that had adjustable caster and camber, and that was a Honda S2000.

'06 Crystal White IS 350

Black Interior

Premium Pkg

OEM rear spoiler

JoeZ intake pipe with HKS drop-in filter

Eibach Pro-Kit Springs

TSW Nogaros (18x8 & 18x9)

Quote: Tango

Quote:

Originally Posted by TangoC

Why isn't caster and camber adjustable on the 2IS?

Lexus just didn't think it was important enough. I've only had 1 car in my life that had adjustable caster and camber, and that was a Honda S2000.

It would seem the partner in the thread is somewhat uneducated... Ownership is not a final base for validation or the manufactured necessity for camber or castor adjusters.

Most cars that use multilink suspension would require at least rear toe adjusters, add to this a fluid dynamic suspension then the chassis would also require camber castor adjusters... the compassion to the S2000 deserves a position high on the laughter rickter scale.. There is no comparison between the chassis!

i'll have a fiddle tommorow to see what is adjustable

Do you have an IS250 to play with?? I've searched the internet and cannot find any info on suspension adjustment on the second generation IS.

Also checked availability of adjustable camber kits for the models (250/350) and there aren't any....which might be good news if there is adjustment already and thus no demand :P

Sorry I cannot have a look myself, but not back in the UK until Friday.

no im just that good

like i say i'll have a play

i had a play i came up with this for the is250.

if it is rear wheel drive then only the front toe is adjustable but if it is 4 wheel drve the front camber is also adjustable using off-set washers on the lower arms

if it is rear wheel drive then only the front toe is adjustable but if it is 4 wheel drve the front camber is also adjustable using off-set washers on the lower arms

Thank you for looking Dan. Not so good then?? ;) So what will be the consequences of lowering my rear wheel drive car 1.4" at the front and 1" at the rear, together with changing the 17"rims to 19"???

Wheel offset at the front will change from +45 to +38 and from +45 at the rear to +42.

All the feedback I'm getting in the States says no problem, but if they're not checking the geometry how do they know? :P

Thank you for looking Dan. Not so good then?? :o So what will be the consequences of lowering my rear wheel drive car 1.4" at the front and 1" at the rear, together with changing the 17"rims to 19"???

Wheel offset at the front will change from +45 to +38 and from +45 at the rear to +42.

All the feedback I'm getting in the States says no problem, but if they're not checking the geometry how do they know? :(

I personally have not measured a 250 yet so i cannot image any suspension modifications and unfortunately i have no data to compare Geometrically (is it unique or an overlap with some tweaks?)

The 19" i assume is wider but the offset should counter that. Lowering the suspension will change the dynamic Camber curve in favor of the Geometry. But historically this will still leave an error and subject to tyre wear.

I personally have not measured a 250 yet so i cannot image any suspension modifications and unfortunately i have no data to compare Geometrically (is it unique or an overlap with some tweaks?)

The 19" i assume is wider but the offset should counter that. Lowering the suspension will change the dynamic Camber curve in favor of the Geometry. But historically this will still leave an error and subject to tyre wear.

Tony,

The wheels are being manufactured in Japan, and I have the eibachs in the garage. My intention is to make an appointment with your goodself as soon as the wheels arrive, and I get some Toyo R1's fitted. I did ask before but I don't believe I got a direct answer....would you prefer I arrive with the original set-up (17" OEM Rims and standard springs) to enable measurements to be taken as standard?

Work to be subsequently done would be to fit the eibach spring set and the 19" rims, and presumably an initial geometry check followed by a later check after the springs have settled ?

Terry

Tony,

The wheels are being manufactured in Japan, and I have the eibachs in the garage. My intention is to make an appointment with your goodself as soon as the wheels arrive, and I get some Toyo R1's fitted. I did ask before but I don't believe I got a direct answer....would you prefer I arrive with the original set-up (17" OEM Rims and standard springs) to enable measurements to be taken as standard?

Work to be subsequently done would be to fit the eibach spring set and the 19" rims, and presumably an initial geometry check followed by a later check after the springs have settled ?

Terry

Since i am unable to find released data for the cars actual Geometry set-up then an initial image would be vital. Once the car is lowered and on the 19" i can re-capture and adjust accordingly... then as you say re-check the validity of the set-up 1000-2000 miles later.