Still Pulling to the Left!

melmose

Hello

I have had my ford mondeo lx mk2 for a couple of years.it has always pulled to the left.As a result i have paid on a number of occasions for tracking,4 wheel alignment and this week for full geometric alignment..

Unfortuanetly it is still pilling to the left although i am experiencing some improvement.

i have just had a brand new set of tyres prior to this and as far as i can ascertain the bushes are ok,the lower arms are not bent,so in my estimation it must be the thrust angle that is wrong.

Here is the geometry readout done on a hunter machine-does this look ok to you?

Cheers Mel

fullgeometaryprintoutcopy.jpg

Hello

The report looks fine..... I know the tyres are new but most times they are the reason for a pull, so to test this move the fronts side-to-side.

The tyres were put on before the geometry test though...

When you say put the fronts side to side,i take that to mean swop them round? may sound daft,but i`m not a great expert and had better check with you 1st!

Hello

The report looks fine..... I know the tyres are new but most times they are the reason for a pull, so to test this move the fronts side-to-side.

When you say put the fronts side to side,i take that to mean swop them round? may sound daft,but i`m not a great expert and had better check with you 1st!

It makes no difference, you can do a geo without the wheels being on! Yes swap the fronts over just to test if it drifts the other way, if it does it's the tyres. There's a sticky thread in the tyre forum explaining why it might be these.

Hello

It makes no difference, you can do a geo without the wheels being on! Yes swap the fronts over just to test if it drifts the other way, if it does it's the tyres. There's a sticky thread in the tyre forum explaining why it might be these.

Thanks Tony.

The tyres are unidirectional(?) so will try swopping front to back.

My other half remembers that the red line on the each tyre was towards the outside edge,so that`s ok

Thanks for the link Tony.

I swopped the tyres round on the front axle as you suggested (the tyres turned out to be asymetric and NOT unidirectional) and the red run out line is on the inside of all four tyres.I can send photo`s if you want me to.

The handling has now changed to the following:-

The car will now go in a straight line,but if you turn the steering wheel a degree or two to the left or right,the car will not correct itself.It will just drift to the left or right,almost as if the front wheels are aligning themselves to two opposing thrust angles-or is that impossible?!

Hope this information will make things more clear for you.

Thanks in advance

Mel

Since the pull has now stopped you have found your criminal,the drift left/ right must be a trait of the tyre, maybe manipulating the pressure up or down will help?

I`ll go and try that now and keep tweeking for a day or so.i hope i can get it sorted as i can`t afford another set of new tyres!

Thanks you so much for your input Tony and fellow members.I`m so glad i found this forum as it`s restored my faith somewhat,having had some seriously bad experiences recently within the motor industry.

I`ll let you know how i get on,incase it helps someone else with a similar problem.

If you do still get the drifting left to right (is it a floating feeling?) then I would look at your wishbones as well, even if they look ok they can be knackered, especially cheap pattern parts.

I have Mondeo Mk3 and it too has always pulled to the camber of the road (which is predominantly left, of course). This surprised me so much initially that I got Tony to check the Geo and all was fine.

Tony rotated the tyres front to back (different makes front and back), and voila! the problem was massively reduced.

Turns out that the Conti's originally on the front (either sport or premium contact, can't remember which) really liked to follow the road camber and made the car slightly unpleasant to drive on steeply cambered roads. Pirelli P6's were much better. I now have Michelin Primacy HPs which pull a bit more than the Pirellis but not as much as the Continentals.

My dad complains about his Mk3 pulling to the left also, and he has Bridgestones on his.

If you do still get the drifting left to right (is it a floating feeling?) then I would look at your wishbones as well, even if they look ok they can be knackered, especially cheap pattern parts.

Can i put poly bushes on the wishbones and if so are they expensive?

I have Mondeo Mk3 and it too has always pulled to the camber of the road (which is predominantly left, of course). This surprised me so much initially that I got Tony to check the Geo and all was fine.

Tony rotated the tyres front to back (different makes front and back), and voila! the problem was massively reduced.

Turns out that the Conti's originally on the front (either sport or premium contact, can't remember which) really liked to follow the road camber and made the car slightly unpleasant to drive on steeply cambered roads. Pirelli P6's were much better. I now have Michelin Primacy HPs which pull a bit more than the Pirellis but not as much as the Continentals.My dad complains about his Mk3 pulling to the left also, and he has Bridgestones on his.

From what i`m seeing on here and WIM it `s pointing to the tyres isn`t it? Oh well,i`m playing about with the pressures and swopping around atm and there`s a marked change each time...i`ll really look into the wishbones again too.I`m an old codger on a small budget(well none actually after all this!) so have to be sure first:-)

Very grateful for everyones imput

Can i put poly bushes on the wishbones and if so are they expensive?

You can but would need the original or new oem arms as the majority of pattern ones have different sized bushes. I think they're £100 for the poly bushes though and the few members on MEG who have them fitted say it really firms the handling.