must have accessories

phipck

things ive found to be a "must have":

camera bag! (good place to start!)

UV filter (most importantly for protecting your lens from scratches, they are also very cheap at less than £10)

clean lens cleaning cloth (ideal for if conditions are wet or dusty)

a good quality tripod (you wont appreciate just how usefull this is untill you have one!)

while on holiday ive found that in addition to the above there are a few things that can make your experience even better still:

spare battery (an absolute must if you get too trigger happy)

spare memory card (i find its better to have two good quality cards of good size, rather than a handfull of cheap various sizes)

Laptop (if you have access to one and can store it safely while on holiday this is a great way to clear your cameras memory card at the end of each day)

higher range zoom lens (my standard lens is 18-75 and my second lens is 70-300 this second lens really allows me to vary the pictures i take)

with exception to the laptop, all of these things can be carried in a camera rucksack or a small camera bag while carrying the tripod by hand.

things ive found to be a "must have":

camera bag! (good place to start!)

UV filter (most importantly for protecting your lens from scratches, they are also very cheap at less than £10)

clean lens cleaning cloth (ideal for if conditions are wet or dusty)

a good quality tripod (you wont appreciate just how usefull this is untill you have one!)

while on holiday ive found that in addition to the above there are a few things that can make your experience even better still:

spare battery (an absolute must if you get too trigger happy)

spare memory card (i find its better to have two good quality cards of good size, rather than a handfull of cheap various sizes)

Laptop (if you have access to one and can store it safely while on holiday this is a great way to clear your cameras memory card at the end of each day)

higher range zoom lens (my standard lens is 18-75 and my second lens is 70-300 this second lens really allows me to vary the pictures i take)

with exception to the laptop, all of these things can be carried in a camera rucksack or a small camera bag while carrying the tripod by hand.

good advice

when i go on holiday i take the camera bag as hand luggage and keep all the documents/tickets in it, that way the camera is kept safe as well as the documents

Good advice mate, I don't really need a bag ATM although I have a case for the camera. A spare memory card I definitely need since I've been taking loads of shots lately and a tripod is on my list :)

Nice tips, the bag is essential, I've got a slingshot which I love, so easy to get the camera out when you need it.

You must be quite trigger happy then, I've got a 16 gig in mine which does about 725 shots and that's been plenty so far, even on holiday - same with the battery, lasts about that many shots if not a few more.

ive just come back from a week in York and on day one i believe i took over 200 photos, admitidly some of those will be deleted, but most of them will stay. I only have the 4Gb card that came with my sony a200 at the moment so transfuring the photos to a laptop seemed like a sencible way to both keep my card free as it would fill in a couple of days and also archive my photos on a daily basis as im quite anal about file structures and organisation.

the second memory card and spare battery are what are missing from my bag at the moment, so being organised ensures i dont have any missed opertunities :)

• 2 months later...
Lens cleaning cloth, what do we all use?

At the moment not anything special, my lowepro bags have lens cleaning cloths built into them so at the moment that's it, but I really should get a proper one. In any case I'm only cleaning the filter on the end of my lens now, so if I do scratch it I can just get a new one :)

Lens cleaning cloth, what do we all use?

At the moment not anything special, my lowepro bags have lens cleaning cloths built into them so at the moment that's it, but I really should get a proper one. In any case I'm only cleaning the filter on the end of my lens now, so if I do scratch it I can just get a new one :)

Is that what the big piece of material is for then, I thought it was a cover to put over the camera before closing the bag. I guess it can be used for both though :)

I've still not decided whether to get a filter or not, seems to be big arguments about their use and how they affect image quality.

Is that what the big piece of material is for then, I thought it was a cover to put over the camera before closing the bag. I guess it can be used for both though :)

I've still not decided whether to get a filter or not, seems to be big arguments about their use and how they affect image quality.

Yep, it's for both :)

Personally I've noticed no difference whatsoever between the filter being on or off, in any conditions. I suppose that's the point though - UV filters were supposed to make a difference to film cameras but don't affect DSLRs according to stuff I've read and my own experience now. In fact someone was telling me that you should really have a UV filter on to protect the sensor but not sure if that was just a load of bull.........

From what I've read our cameras should have built-in UV protectors anyway, so the only benefit it to protect the lens. What filters do you have on yours as I may get one to try? Can you fit the hood on with them fitted as well?

From what I've read our cameras should have built-in UV protectors anyway, so the only benefit it to protect the lens. What filters do you have on yours as I may get one to try? Can you fit the hood on with them fitted as well?

Oh, well then yes it was just bull!

I've got a Hoya one, an HMC off the top of my head. Yep the hood fits fine, it fits to a separate piece of the lens, it doesn't fit to the front where the filter goes - I have my hood on all the time except when I'm using the flash, at which point it gets inverted so technically it never leaves the end of my camera! The lens cap fits fine too, actually find the cap fits better with the filter on than it did before :lol:

I will look into getting one then and see what I think. There's something else I've got my eye on first but I've spent too much already! Photography is worse than detailing!! :)

Lol, although at least we don't have to worry about the cost of film/developing any more! :)

I will look into getting one then and see what I think. There's something else I've got my eye on first but I've spent too much already! Photography is worse than detailing!! :)

In total agreement with you in there - its bloody expensive to get kitted out in such a way that you can really get the most from your initial purchase!

However i will say that a good photo can capture a precious moment forever and for me that is priceless :)

Lol, although at least we don't have to worry about the cost of film/developing any more! :)

Very true and digital is much more conveinient as well...imagine how many hours you would spend in a dark room developing photos taken by film.

However i will say that a good photo can capture a precious moment forever and for me that is priceless :o

Exactlly the reason I bought a DSLR, I just wasn't happy with the photos I got from the other camera. But from the limited use I've had with the Nikon I'm going to be very happy with the results I think. I want to get some printed onto canvas, should look great on the wall :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Nice one, I really like my slingshot, they're really useful in an outdoor situation.

I'm really surprised by the price, my 100AW was £40 when I bought it, and the 200AW was about £10-20 more so how cheap did you get yours? :o

I'm not sure if I'll like it though as you can only wear them over your right shoulder. I've always preferred to wear it over my left, I think it's to do with me being left handed! But for the price it's worth a shot....£21.50 delivered :D Amazon have it for between £60-70, the price keeps changing.

From the feedback and comments on talk photography it's the same bag. So they obviously made some extra ones in China without the logo and sold them cheap. Just goes to show how much we get ripped off! But I shall confirm when the bag arrives, they still have some left but have said they won't be getting anymore.

Bag came first thing and it's a Lowepro one, you can see where the logo has been unstitched, even left the thread pick in the bag! Same quality as the small bag I bought so really happy, just gotta see if I can get use to wearing it. They have about 20 left if anyone is interested.

They were sold as new but without tags...they either fell off a lorry but I don't think someone would sell them on ebay if they did, or the factory where they're made sold some extras to someone. Apparently it's not unheard of that some fakes out there are actually the real thing just minus the name!