Gap required between wheel and arch.

Hello,

I called STS today to see when I could book my car in for an alignment/full geometry. The advise back was had my car been lowered and yes it has. There is a gap of between 11-14mm between the tyre and the arch, enough space to put my fingers in but not enough for me to put my palm through. I was told to leave a message here and hopefully someone can give me an answer :D

Thank you in advance!

You'll need to find a centre that uses a camera system that hooks onto the sides of the wheels, rather than hooks on the top of the wheel.

There are a few of Tony's recommended centres listed towards the bottom of the main forums page. Whereabouts are you?

Ok, two pictures taken yesterday using my phone. I was a dolt and forgot I am parked on a dropped kerb so it looks abit funny on the side on the kerb. Or maybe not, I dunno....

http://www.bradssite.ath.cx/sleepy/28-03-06_1742.jpg

http://www.bradssite.ath.cx/sleepy/28-03-06_1743.jpg

Hope they are of some use.

yes I know I berbed the rear left.... :D

Erm to give you an idea on size the rims are 17inch and the tyres on it are 205/45.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP the pictures are huge! Erm...didn't think my phone camera took pictures like that..oh well! lol! BTW sorry for kinda ruining the forum display structure! :o

Edited by ScarFace

And Sleepy.....don't forget to put your decent tyres on :P :lol:

OMG Janey, you remember from December eh..?? loooool! At least I showed up along with Richard!!! You bailed and scared off Alice! That cut the nutz team down by half! I'm ashamed to turn up to another drift uk practise event in case I bump into the same people from that day!! loool!

I'm NEVER gonna live it down! :lol:

Call that slammed......you p***y

There's at least another 10mm to go :unsure:

LoL! I never said it was slammed. Just lowered on some unknown springs.

Just when i called up STS they asked if it was lowered. Meh.

OMG Janey, you remember from December eh..?? loooool! At least I showed up along with Richard!!! You bailed and scared off Alice! That cut the nutz team down by half! I'm ashamed to turn up to another drift uk practise event in case I bump into the same people from that day!! loool!

:lol: I will come with you next time & you can hide behind me :unsure:

:P I will come with you next time & you can hide behind me :unsure:

:lol: Care to share?

Hi Tony, I gave the STS shop a call today and they said you were still off sick :) Will try again early next week.

Regarding the story...

Drift practise day. We (nutz) decided a few of us wanted to go try drifting. Janey, Alice, Richard and me were on the "possible" list. Janey managed to scare off Alice and to top it all off, on the morning of the event where we were all suppose to meet, Janey was a no-show! :lol:

Anyhow, I did abit of drifting but realised my petrol level was low, so needed a small top up. Bit of extra info, I bought 4 different wheels down to burn the rubber on them, however I only changed the rear two (it was raining and I was being lazy). These wheels are something silly like 185/65R14. Now the petrol station isn't far, about a mile away and again was too butt-lazy to change back to my road wheels. I got there, filled up, on the way back the car swapped ends on me faster than I could blink and was rolling backwards down the road till a little barricade stopped me. Thankfully the road I was travelling on was empty. Of course there was resulting damage, relatively minor.

Now everybody at the event thought I went out drifting on the roads :lol: and everyone here probably thinks so too after reading that. But no, I wasn't even dreaming of drifting on the roads. I thought I was being careful but I wasn't careful enough. :( It teaches me for being so butt lazy. :(

There ya have it Tony :) My rather disappointing story. :D :rolleyes: :lol:

Hi Tony, I gave the STS shop a call today and they said you were still off sick :) Will try again early next week.

Regarding the story...

Drift practise day. We (nutz) decided a few of us wanted to go try drifting. Janey, Alice, Richard and me were on the "possible" list. Janey managed to scare off Alice and to top it all off, on the morning of the event where we were all suppose to meet, Janey was a no-show! :lol:

Anyhow, I did abit of drifting but realised my petrol level was low, so needed a small top up. Bit of extra info, I bought 4 different wheels down to burn the rubber on them, however I only changed the rear two (it was raining and I was being lazy). These wheels are something silly like 185/65R14. Now the petrol station isn't far, about a mile away and again was too butt-lazy to change back to my road wheels. I got there, filled up, on the way back the car swapped ends on me faster than I could blink and was rolling backwards down the road till a little barricade stopped me. Thankfully the road I was travelling on was empty. Of course there was resulting damage, relatively minor.

Now everybody at the event thought I went out drifting on the roads :lol: and everyone here probably thinks so too after reading that. But no, I wasn't even dreaming of drifting on the roads. I thought I was being careful but I wasn't careful enough. :( It teaches me for being so butt lazy. :D

There ya have it Tony :) My rather disappointing story. :) :rolleyes: :lol:

Disappointing no!.... i found it an interesting read..... welcome to the world of oversteer!..... sorry about today, i have 'man flu' (the worst a man can get) ask any woman :( ..... your car may be a little low.... can you go to the WIM home page, scroll down to the Lexus meet and then the gallery.... from here you can see the equipment in operation... i can lift the car a little 5mm but after that all positions would be violated and the geometry worthless......

some places have alignment machines that fit of the rim rather than over the tyre, also i know of a company in hemel hempstead B) that has the standard wheel alignment gauges with arm that fit lower down the wheel so more lowered cars can be checked

some places have alignment machines that fit of the rim rather than over the tyre, also i know of a company in hemel hempstead B) that has the standard wheel alignment gauges with arm that fit lower down the wheel so more lowered cars can be checked

Indeed you do!..... mind you Clive was concerned when the five Honda S2000 turn up to be set for their race day ;)