BMW 3 series tyre wear issue

A couple of photos of the BMW 320d Coupe Convertable (58 plate) with the tyre wear issue....

What would cause this? Is it the Geo? I initally thought it would be something rubbing on the tyres but looking at all 4 corners... they are all going that way! ;)

He is going to get it booked in for a geo asap with you guys but is having to get emergency tyre replacements done today so he can drive the car at least.

Cheers

Iain

post-1248-1272551075.jpg

post-1248-1272551085.jpg

Hes had the car 10000 miles and 6 months.

Lucky they are runflats other wise it would have been a blow out on one of them. He has to drive to essex tonight (home) so will be getting the bad tyre done but is going to get it up to WIM for investigation and other possible tyre replacements once someone can have a look.

I was a bit shocked when he showed me!

looks like it's been run on flat for quite a while. Note it's destroyed on both sides.

It amazes me how many people have driven their car for XXX miles with a flat runflat tyre!

I though run flat's had a sensor in the car that showed when you were in run flat mode?

h

No they don't, only some cars have actual tyre monitoring (and it's usually an option), what BMW's have as standard fit is just a tyre pressure sensor that brings up a warning if there is a sudden change in tyre pressure.

So if it gets punctured, it alerts you, but if it very gradually gets flat in many cases you'll have no idea unless you actually look at them - and with low profile tyres it's sometimes quite difficult to tell that the tyre is flat.

I though run flat's had a sensor in the car that showed when you were in run flat mode?

h

No they don't, only some cars have actual tyre monitoring (and it's usually an option), what BMW's have as standard fit is just a tyre pressure sensor that brings up a warning if there is a sudden change in tyre pressure.

So if it gets punctured, it alerts you, but if it very gradually gets flat in many cases you'll have no idea unless you actually look at them - and with low profile tyres it's sometimes quite difficult to tell that the tyre is flat.

One's without the monitor use the ABS to detect a flat.

...Lucky they are runflats other wise it would have been a blow out on one of them.

Have you thought, if they were not run-flats they probably wouldn't be worn like this. BTW, is the second picture the inside of the other rear tyre? If so, notice the cracking in the tread grooves, not a good sign. Have these tyres been run at lowish pressure and also overheated?

HighlandPete

Just been talking to S2IM about this, they're the front tyres, inside edges but the rears are going the same way! :lol:

Fronts wearing like that! The second picture is the worst/sharpest shape I've seen on the shoulder, worse than any rear tyre, so surely we must be talking low pressure and running the sidewalls, more than a camber issue.

Or... is the car a lowered/modified example with much more negative camber?

HighlandPete

Just been talking to S2IM about this, they're the front tyres, inside edges but the rears are going the same way! :lol:

Fronts wearing like that! The second picture is the worst/sharpest shape I've seen on the shoulder, worse than any rear tyre, so surely we must be talking low pressure and running the sidewalls, more than a camber issue.

Or... is the car a lowered/modified example with much more negative camber?

HighlandPete

Pretty sure Iain said they're the fronts as the guy had to go buy new tyres before driving home but the rears will need replacing asap. They're 19" rims as well, which I think are standard.

Particularly for Tony...

Are you aware that Bridgestone are said to have made a modification to the tyres, to help the inner wear problem?

What I'm reading.... The new tyre designation on the sidewall is Bridgestone RFT 050A YZ

HighlandPete

Yes, they are allowing the tyre to deform so it can adopt the camber positions..... It's a pants solution because the tyres "slip angle" or lets say roll is greatly increased giving the feeling the rear is on ice.

Yes, they are allowing the tyre to deform so it can adopt the camber positions..... It's a pants solution because the tyres "slip angle" or lets say roll is greatly increased giving the feeling the rear is on ice.

As an engineer I sense tyres are getting far too hi-tech. Too much expected from one component in a suspension system. The problem as I see it, as the technology gets even more complex, more compromises can come back and bite the users and manufacturers. Wait until the Bridgestone G3's come into the market, rubber with heat reactions seems a step too far, IMO. Perhaps the reason we are waiting longer than anticipated, from the big PR exercise, before product is ready.

HighlandPete

Completely standard 320d Coupe Convertible. 58 plate with approx 20k on the clock.

The two pictures were of each front Tyre. The tyre with the least wear is how the rears are going too... so that's 4 corners he will need replacing pretty sharpish. The wear pattern just seemed completely strange to me. At first he checked the bad wheel and thought some trim must have been rubbing against the inner wall, but after getting under the car i couldn't see anything and checked out the other tires. All 4 are going the same way.

Completely standard 320d Coupe Convertible. 58 plate with approx 20k on the clock.

The two pictures were of each front Tyre. The tyre with the least wear is how the rears are going too... so that's 4 corners he will need replacing pretty sharpish. The wear pattern just seemed completely strange to me. At first he checked the bad wheel and thought some trim must have been rubbing against the inner wall, but after getting under the car i couldn't see anything and checked out the other tires. All 4 are going the same way.

What pressures do you run on those front tyres? Checked regularly? Do you make lots of short runs, less than 12 - 15 miles?

I hope you haven't been relying on the TPWS* for warning of a low pressure, as it can take a significant drop in one tyre to trigger. The big problem with the indirect ABS wheel sensor based system we have in the UK, if all tyres drop over time we can run on far too low a set of pressures, without any warning. It requires quite a rapid air loss, on the run, to get the warning trigger. Or something like an overnight slow pucture to get the warning 'bong'.

* BMW don't normally use the TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) reference anymore, as it is not strictly a monitoring system. But use acronyms such as TPWS (Tyre Puncture/Pressure Warning System), latest is, Tyre Defect Indicator (TDI).

There's been a false sense of security, which has lead many to feel they don't need to check tyre pressures, they'll be told when to.

HighlandPete

• 10 years later...

Well I've been running a 330d estate for 5 years from new. It came with 19" Goodyear runflats.  I  suffered 5 tyre failures in the first 20000 miles, bulges in side wall and on one occasion a cracked wheel, and two partial separations of tread from sidewall leaving the car undrivable. Because these happened individually I kept replacing the damaged tyre. I can't comment on wear as I never had a tyre last beyond about 5mm tread depth. Its the first car I've owned where I check the tyre pressures every time I fill up I got so paranoid.

In the end I threw the whole lot away and replaced them with conventional tyres  since when I have had only one puncture from a screw, unfortunately too close to the sidewall to be repaired and the car's ride and handling is transformed. I bought a space saver with bag and jack etc which I put in the car for longer trips although it does take up boot space. It's my last BMW unless they reintroduce a spare wheel and conventional tyre option.