Mazda MX5 MK2 - Front End Light at Speed

juzzyp

Some problems with the old car at the moment:

1) It's been back from the bodyshop after a small (cosmetic only) accident (30mph) impact - a new bonnet, wing, headlight, bumper was required - the car has been fine since the accident when I was running on Toyo T1R's.

2) I've recently bought some Goodyear Eagles GSD3 F1's and under acceleration or high speed, it feels like the front end is getting light, I never had this with the Toyos.

Does anyone have any theories??? :lol:

The turbo was fitted before the Goodyears and there was no front end lightness with those tyres. I will admit the tyres were not fitted by STS Stapletons but a company called "Bracknell Tyre and Battery" they did not touch the geometry, just weighted and balanced the wheels.

The only other change was moving from outer wheel weights to inner wheels weights.

Im booked in for a session with Tony this Tuesday from around 2pm so he can look at the problem

Well ?? what was the conclusion from today :D

Had they knocked the settings out when doing the tyres ? or does Justin now need to donate his turbo to a good cause :D

Tell me, tell me, can't wait ;) ;)

Unfortunately juzzyp was caught in one of today's motorway no go zones and missed his Geometry slot... so we will all need to wait for the re-booking results :D ..... Oh and janey whats that signature i saw of yours in MX5NUTS... 'wim makes your car happy' :D .... Cheered me right up, i even fed the cat :D

Well ?? what was the conclusion from today :D

Had they knocked the settings out when doing the tyres ? or does Justin now need to donate his turbo to a good cause <_<

Tell me, tell me, can't wait :) :lol:

Unfortunately juzzyp was caught in one of today's motorway no go zones and missed his Geometry slot... so we will all need to wait for the re-booking results :) ..... Oh and janey whats that signature i saw of yours in MX5NUTS... 'wim makes your car happy' :) .... Cheered me right up, i even fed the cat :o

Aww thats a shame ;)

Hehehe I put a link into here and was stuck on what to call it so I decided on 'WIM makes your car happy' :)

Unfortunately juzzyp was caught in one of today's motorway no go zones and missed his Geometry slot... so we will all need to wait for the re-booking results :( ..... Oh and janey whats that signature i saw of yours in MX5NUTS... 'wim makes your car happy' :D .... Cheered me right up, i even fed the cat :o

janey:

Aww thats a shame ;)

Hehehe I put a link into here and was stuck on what to call it so I decided on 'WIM makes your car happy' :lol:

People emailed me asking were to tickle :lol: ...... obviously i replied 'fan belt' is good.... steer clear of the 'dump valve' :D ..... Anyway (ribs hurting).... Thank You for the link oh mighty 'J-tuner one'

3) Stock Mazda psi is 26 - I run them at 28-29 for better turn in.

Have you tried running the tyres at the correct pressure? it may just be that the last tyres needed more pressure to behave how you wanted, surely too much pressure will lead to a smaller contact patch so a lighter feel, also the design of the tread may effect the feel of grip.

• 1 month later...

It's a month on and I visited Tony yesterday and met a fellow MK3 owner while I was there.

Well we found the problem, I've got the results on me and it appears that the front left and rear right were way off, a lorry hitting you does not help matters, it tottally messed with the geometry on the car.

The car is "planted" and I mean "uber planted"

Im dead chuffed with Tonys great service, nice work!!

It's a month on and I visited Tony yesterday and met a fellow MK3 owner while I was there.

Well we found the problem, I've got the results on me and it appears that the front left and rear right were way off, a lorry hitting you does not help matters, it tottally messed with the geometry on the car.

The car is "planted" and I mean "uber planted"

Im dead chuffed with Tonys great service, nice work!!

Tell the world i love 5's ;)