Hyundai Getz - pull to left

DJ_AS

We recently bought the missus another Hyundai Getz to replace her last one that was written off. She complained of slight pull to left so the dealer promised to have the car's alignment checked and adjusted. Come purchase day, we are provided paperwork to show the 0.12° steer ahead has been cured.

A trip down the motorway on Fri indicates the pull left is still very much there. :huh:

The received printout (after correction) can be found at: http://djsakka.co.uk/photo/hyundaigeo.jpg

Is there anything that may cause the pull on that report? I noticed the rears are out of indicated tolerance but thrust angle is reported as 0°. Or could it be the steering wheel was not centred properly at the time the alignment was carried out?

It should be noted the last Getz did not do this but was on different tyres to this one.

If there's nothing obviously wrong alignment wise I might wait to have the tyres changed in a month or so and see how it goes, otherwise it'll be a combined WIM / Blackboots trip in order.

Thanks in advance :)

Ditto..... Very poor report that.

I got something right then...that front camber angle could cause the car to pull left?

Without question..... The force of camber is conical ( wanting to roll into the cars centre ) on this car the NSF has less conical reply.

Ditto..... Very poor report that.

I got something right then...that front camber angle could cause the car to pull left?

Without question..... The force of camber is conical ( wanting to roll into the cars centre ) on this car the NSF has less conical reply.

So shouldn't the report have taken the front camber(s) into account when calculating and reporting the 'steer ahead' value?

I'm assuming this is a simple rectification job for Mr Bones :whistle:

Are the rear alignment values worth worrying about?

Yeah..... Who ever measured the car didn't recognize the OSF camber would "push", plus i'm not impressed the castor wasn't measured "sloppy workmanship".... As for the rear, the camber is not a problem, the toe is "concerning", personally i would check the beam for a ( jacking ) bend.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm... looks like this may be a rare WIM fail... brace yourself Tony...

The car was 'WIMed' as planned. After the initial geometry imaging was done, Tony advised that the out of tolerance camber and caster readings on the front right were likely to be caused by suspension damage - most likely the lower wishbone. Presumptive cause - pothole.

WIM report here if you're interested: WIM geometry

It should be noted that we had a look at the suspension while the car was on the ramps and there was nothing obviously wrong that could be seen.

So I returned the car to the car dealer I had recently purchased it from, showing him the original and WIM geo reports and requested that he sort the problem. He returned the car to Spirit Hyundai in Northampton (where he had sourced it) who investigated the problem and found an 'unusual' wear pattern on the front right. They swapped another set of wheels onto the car and voila! the pull had vanished. The question remained though - what was the root cause of the tyre wear / pull?

The car was then moved onto Spirit VW in Leamington Spa (quite an adventure for the little Hyundai!) as they're equipped with a geomtery rig. A further investigation by them and they also found nothing amiss with the suspension. More importantly, somehow the have managed to get the geometry back into tolerance. Even the rear toe!

Spirit report here: Spirit VW geometry

So it would appear that Spirit VW in Leamington have succeeded where WIM failed - the Hyundai geo could be adjusted back within tolerances...

Formula 1 Leighton Buzzard 0, WIM 0 vs Spirit VW 1

...so there's a money back guarantee from WIM, right?

ps. I hate cars sometimes...

That's some magic they did there because other than the front toe no other angles are adjustable :lol: ..... So how did they adjust them :(

No idea - I didn't speak to any of the garages directly, other than the chap who sold me the car. He seems honest enough. He used Spirit Hyundai / VW cos they're his family's dealer group.

Your initial printout in this thread and our printout where mirror images because the angles are not adjustable, suddenly this company has managed to adjust nonadjustable angles offering a perfect calibration. I salute them and would like their contact number so i can learn from them?

DJ think about it, it's easy to spoof the numbers if the customers not watching, you cannot adjust a nonadjustable chassis without additional attachments.

Your initial printout in this thread and our printout where mirror images because the angles are not adjustable, suddenly this company has managed to adjust nonadjustable angles offering a perfect calibration. I salute them and would like their contact number so i can learn from them?

DJ think about it, it's easy to spoof the numbers if the customers not watching, you cannot adjust a nonadjustable chassis without additional attachments.

Of course, that did cross my mind but it would surprise me if this bloke was that dishonest.

I'm half tempted to have the geometry rechecked by yourselves but can't really afford to chuck money away on the basis that you think someone is telling porkies.

Other than the front toe the chassis is fixed, conclude what you like but the numbers as good as they look don't correlate with the two previous reports you had. Don't you think if the angles where adjustable we.... wim would have set them to dissolve your complaint! Adjusting angles makes us money.... You've been spoofed mate and it's very easy to do.

Give me their contact number and i will ask them how they managed to adjust a fixed chassis :(

Other than the front toe the chassis is fixed, conclude what you like but the numbers as good as they look don't correlate with the two previous reports you had. Don't you think if the angles where adjustable we.... wim would have set them to dissolve your complaint! Adjusting angles makes us money.... You've been spoofed mate and it's very easy to do.

Give me their contact number and i will ask them how they managed to adjust a fixed chassis :lol:

Spirit VW: 01926 468 900

Job number: 398

Would muchly appreciate your investigation :(

Now, I'm off to bed...

I spoke to Paul Parker this morning who said he would look into it and call me back...... He didn't so i have just called him again, he said the tech loosened the rear beam and adjusted the toe like that, i said that's not possible since both the wheels where toed in so moving a beam could not toe both wheels out, one in and one out yes. I'm sorry but the end figures on your printout has been fabricated.

• 2 months later...

Ok, been a while so here's the end of this sorry tale (cos I have a pet hate of unfinished threads on forums) ...

Following Tony's assertation's that the VW garage that 'corrected' the Getz's geometry had told some porkies, I decided to have the car re-tested at another local garage without first informing them of the story so far. Fresh perspective and all that, and complete independance. Anyway, the front geo-readings were similar to Tony's IIRC but there was something peculiar about the rear ones (I can't remember now, but the numbers made me doubt the garage had done the geo image properly... :rolleyes: ).

The missus however was happy with the way the car drove. After taking it for a spin, I was too...

... until the day I took it to have some new boots (sorry, Tony, didn't have a chance to trek to Blackboots) and I noticed that the handling had been 'cured' by moving the peculiarly worn offside front tyre to the nearside rear :oneeyed01: (the wear pattern having been caused by the offside front suspension being out of alignment).

Anyway, new boots were fitted and the car was taken for a service at a Hyundai dealer. I requested the dealer provide a quotation for replacement of the lower control arm that Tony originally suspected was the cause of the problem.... when my wife returned with the car and I asked what the damage would be, she said they had not quoted as, having examined the suspension, they could not see a problem so changing components would be a 'waste of money' in their words.

So what next...

...well having considered things carefully I have decided to do... nowt!

I've wasted enough time on this and would frankly rather spend my time doing other things. The 4 differing geo reports would quickly be pulled apart should I take this to court so thats pointless. With regards to the car, handling seems fine, although obviously tyre wear will be more rapid on the offside front which would also lead to the pull returning. However, the car is not heavily used it would probably be cheaper in the lifetime of the car to replace the tyres a bit more often than to try and get this fixed.

Anyway, move along now, nothing to see here...

p.s. this is not a criticism, but I do wish that you'd (Tony) handled the replacement of the lower control arm. It would seem to me that general suspension work would be a natural progression for WIM / Blackboots.