Subaru Legacy 2.5ltr AWD Sedan.

This problem might not exclusively apply to Subarus. The car has developed a problem when braking which I suspect is to do with a wheelspeed sensor. The car has an annoying judder when braking, which can be felt through the steering wheel and is worse as braking speed increases. The discs and pads are in good order. The problem is at the front end, I think. I have noticed that the front nearside will lock up under heavy braking, which seems to suggest that the ABS is receiving the wrong information from the braking ECU. Can a faulty wheelspeed sensor be the culprit, and if so, would I be able to fit a new sensor. In other words, are there any problems which I might encounter. The car belongs to my wife, and she is still very dear to me , so it is important that the problem be fixed. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Regards John.

In all my years i've never known the sensor to be the problem, it's more likely there's pad matter burnt onto the disc face.

Both disc faces, both sides look clean, with no signs of marking.

Easy test.... Move the discs side-to-side and see if the problem migrates.

In all my years i've never known the sensor to be the problem, it's more likely there's pad matter burnt onto the disc face.

Both disc faces, both sides look clean, with no signs of marking.

Easy test.... Move the discs side-to-side and see if the problem migrates.

Thanks for that. I will give it a go.

My Dad has just bought a Subaru Legacy GTB and it had the same problem, the discs warp very quickly on these cars even if you can't see the normal signs, it's a very well known quirk of these cars.

Check out http://www.ukleagacy.com for my information.

Take care and good luck......

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Nice....... If the problem happens again then the drive flange needs checking.

Hi, the problem has reared its head again. The vibration is minimal at this time, but there is a creaking/grinding noise from the front nearside when the car is turning right. Any thoughts?. Also another problem which I thought I had cured a couple of years ago has also come back. There is a screeching sort of noise when the car is reversing on full left hand lock. The last time this happened the toothed belt that drives the pas pump was bably worn and stretched. A new belt sorted the problem, and it still looks in good condition. Any ideas on this one?. Regards John.

Drive flange....

Thanks again Tony. Would the drive flange problem also be the cause of the screeching sound when car is reversing?. Could you supply and fit the part?, and if so , how much would it cost?. Regards John.