ARB in relation to under steer

Bazza

in an effort to reduce understeer on the starlet i was advised to fit a rear ARB

many reports state that its one of the best handling mods to carry out

so duly ordered and fitted a rear ARB, not one to do things by half i also ordered an uprated front ARB, until then it was running a not so uprated front ARB

the difference was....no difference to be honest

and still suffering from understeer

this is contrary from many good reports on how much better it should have been

so my thoughts are maybe that by uprating the front ARB it counteracted uprating the rear

next thoughts were by fitting the not so uprated front ARB back to see what differences it might make

question time:

Is there a relationship between front and rear ARB's and understeer/oversteer ?

Is it feasible that one counteracted the other ?

:)

I'm probably totally wrong on this as my memory... now what were we talking about!

It's down to the relationship of front/rear ARB ratios.

A lighter ARB at the rear than the front would provoke oversteer. (If provoke is not too strong a work)

So if you uprated the rear and the front, the front/rear rations may have stayed the same/similar, and hetherefore no change on under/oversteer. You may have notices something tho' on body roll.

Anyone feel free to correct me!

h

Entry

I would reduce the front coils preload and remove the toe-out, exit increase preload in the rear shocks... If the problem is "steady state" then that's another completely different issue.

numpty question : whats "steady state"

Entry

I would reduce the front coils preload and remove the toe-out, exit increase preload in the rear shocks... If the problem is "steady state" then that's another completely different issue.

Think of longer, sweeping bends with fairly constant steeering input. Probably at higher speeds. Atleast, that's what I always understood it to mean.. :unsure:

Entry

Think of longer, sweeping bends with fairly constant steeering input. Probably at higher speeds. Atleast, that's what I always understood it to mean.. :unsure:

Spot on.....

Where is the understeer

1: Steady state

2: Corner entry

3: Corner exit

entry / exit

any large sweeps and understeer creeps in, lifting off to correct but thats loosing time !

Blimey that's a bit of everything..... Entry needs the bump turned down and as said the neg toe removed then possibily the rear rebound increased.