Mk2 Mondeo ST24

BDBCOS

My St24 is currently fitted with Koni Sport dampers to front end. The dampers have had the spring carriers cut off to allow coilovers to be fitted. The car is running 19 inch front wheels with 35mm low profile tyres, and Eibach adjustable top mounts. When I bought the car, it was running more than 2 degrees negative camber and used to eat front tyres due to inside walls failing at 4-5000 miles. After a lot of investigation, it was found that the nearside could be adjusted to correct camber, but just over 2 degrees negative was the best that could be acheived on the offside. I tried to move the engine over to be central between the suspension turrets but that was not succesful. I then decided to fit new wishbones and invested in poly bushes. I then moved the ball joint on the offsde wishbone,in 6.5 mm. That cured the problem with the camber. I also fitted a 3mm spacer to offside wheel and have not experienced any other problems. The nearside damper has failed so I have decided to fit G-MAX front dampers along with G_MAX lowering springs, as the existing set up is so hard, and it seems that the tyres are acting as the shock absorbers which is not good on our worsening roads. My question is, will the Eibach tops fit the larger diameter springs?If not what is the option?. Regards John.

My St24 is currently fitted with Koni Sport dampers to front end. The dampers have had the spring carriers cut off to allow coilovers to be fitted. The car is running 19 inch front wheels with 35mm low profile tyres, and Eibach adjustable top mounts. When I bought the car, it was running more than 2 degrees negative camber and used to eat front tyres due to inside walls failing at 4-5000 miles. After a lot of investigation, it was found that the nearside could be adjusted to correct camber, but just over 2 degrees negative was the best that could be acheived on the offside. I tried to move the engine over to be central between the suspension turrets but that was not succesful. I then decided to fit new wishbones and invested in poly bushes. I then moved the ball joint on the offsde wishbone,in 6.5 mm. That cured the problem with the camber. I also fitted a 3mm spacer to offside wheel and have not experienced any other problems. The nearside damper has failed so I have decided to fit G-MAX front dampers along with G_MAX lowering springs, as the existing set up is so hard, and it seems that the tyres are acting as the shock absorbers which is not good on our worsening roads. My question is, will the Eibach tops fit the larger diameter springs?If not what is the option?. Regards John.

I have the eibach top mounts aswell they will take any springs as you should still have you orignal spring seat on them

Thanks for that. I dont know if the original spring seat is fitted. I might buy a couple just in case to save stripping out dampers and finding I have another unforseen problem and then having to put it all back together again. Regards John.

I remember your thread on MEG John...I was interested in seeing your setup but you had no photos. I believe you have the same setup as this - click here

I'm pretty sure the top mounts/camber kit fit as they would with OEM or lowering springs. I have Eibach 30mm springs fitted on OEM shocks with the camber kit - see here You do need the original plate that sits directly on top of the spring, this doesn't come with the kit and may not be fitted to yours.

I remember your thread on MEG John...I was interested in seeing your setup but you had no photos. I believe you have the same setup as this - click here

I'm pretty sure the top mounts/camber kit fit as they would with OEM or lowering springs. I have Eibach 30mm springs fitted on OEM shocks with the camber kit - see here You do need the original plate that sits directly on top of the spring, this doesn't come with the kit and may not be fitted to yours.

Yes I do remember you helping me on another site. Thanks for the photos, I am now clear as to what this kit looks like.When you fitted yours, did you manage to get the shocks out without disturbing the hub or driveshafts? I am going to try and contact the previous owner to find out if the original spring seats and bearings were fitted. Thanks for your help ,again. I will try to get some photos of my cars and bike posted soon. I am not a computer techi as you may have realised. Kind regards John.

Aiiieeeee!! I thought I had wondered onto a Ford Forum! Run away! Run away!

uh, I'll be leaving now.....heh

This forum caters for all models, don't like it then jog on northern monkey! :huh: :o

Yes I do remember you helping me on another site. Thanks for the photos, I am now clear as to what this kit looks like.When you fitted yours, did you manage to get the shocks out without disturbing the hub or driveshafts? I am going to try and contact the previous owner to find out if the original spring seats and bearings were fitted. Thanks for your help ,again. I will try to get some photos of my cars and bike posted soon. I am not a computer techi as you may have realised. Kind regards John.

Have you ever fitted mondeo suspension? The main thing to watch is the pinch bolts, they have a habit of snapping! The hub/driveshaft is kept on place via the balljoint, just make sure you tie it in place. The shaft may come out of the gearbox housing but you just need to push it back in if it does making sure the bearings are still in place.

yeah you may want to put down a small catch tray under the gearbox incase you spill a little g/box oil

*jogs on* :huh:

Nah you won't the housings are locked in :lol:

Thanks again mate.I will let you know when done. Drier weather wanted. Regards John.