The relevance of tyres in regards to wheel alignment...

Two questions;

I think I know the answer to this one already, but...my friend travelled 50 miles to the nearest garage with a Hunter machine, once up on the ramp the operator said he cant align it with worn tyres - as when new tyres are fitted, the calibriation will be wrong. He point blank refused to align the car unless new tyres were fitted. From what I have gathered from reading previous posts, this is a load of rubbish?

Secondly, I had a wheel alignment done on my car only a few hundred miles ago, great results - today however I removed the Bridgestones and fitted Goodyear Asymmetrics, now the steering wheel needs to be slightly offset to the right for the car to drive straight. I'm only taking 2-3 degrees here, its not really a problem, but I am curious to why this is.

Here is the alignment print out;

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9894/alignment.jpg

Thanks

depends how the tyres wear in first place i guess and how thay were when alingment was done? if it was set with worn tyres then i guess it would throw it out slightly anyway.......have you tried swappin wheels side to side ?

1: Their talking absolute bollox, the tyre cannot influence the wheels position however badly worn. Tyre =rubber, chassis = metal.

2: Have you read the thread in wim "tyres and their markings", this explains why new tyres can make the car pull to one side, the same explanation applies to the steering position.

1. Tony, thank you and thought as much.

2. Have read that in the past yes, the coloured bands on these tyres where both on the inside of each tyre.

Move the wheels side-to-side and see if the steering position changes.

1. Tony, thank you and thought as much.

2. Have read that in the past yes, the coloured bands on these tyres where both on the inside of each tyre.

Move the wheels side-to-side and see if the steering position changes.

Wise man... do many tyre shops even bother looking at the markings? Do you have to remount many directional tyres to sort this sort of problem?

HighlandPete

Nope..... Most tyre shops thinks the lines are nothing more then pretty colors.... On the phone i lose about 1/3 of bookings once i explain why the new tyres fitted make the car pull.. I would prefer to stop the customer traveling 300 miles or five hours just so we swap the wheels side-to-side.

Nope..... Most tyre shops think the lines are nothing more then pretty colors.... On the phone i lose about 1/3 of bookings once i explain why the new tyres fitted make the car pull.. I would prefer to stop the customer traveling 300 miles or five hours just so we swap the wheels side-to-side.

1: Their talking absolute bollox, the tyre cannot influence the wheels position however badly worn. Tyre =rubber, chassis = metal.

2: Have you read the thread in wim "tyres and their markings", this explains why new tyres can make the car pull to one side, the same explanation applies to the steering position.

I can't find the tyres and their markings thread...am I being dumb here (probably am)

sorry...just found it :(

that explains the coloured band...pity I didn't take any notice when they got fitted...