Exhaust 'Flamer'

Tony

I wonder what the law would say if they saw this.....

I assume the method is to allow raw fuel into the exhaust then ignite it :D Could this mod be considered a 'dangerous weapon'

I was tempted to get the boss to look down the tail pipe then test his cooking time to the gallon.... But with the cost of fuel nowadays it would have been a wast :D

I've seen this sort of mod at meets like Trax etc.. It can look cool but I think its very chavvy :D

It does look cool when the flames shoot out on the track though or from a highly tuned car.. Not just from a Saxo / Corsa wanting to be something they're not

I don't think it falls foul of any specific law, but plod might take a dim view if someone was injured!

Well yes but could this be considered a potential 'Dangerous weapon' in the eyes if intent. If you have a stick of rock from Blackpool in the car this is considered a potential weapon..... So i wonder how a detonator up the tailpipe would come across :o

no law against fitting a spark plug into your exhaust, although if a flame is coming out of the exhaust like a flame thrower it will be an offence under section 40a of the RTA "Using vehicle in dangerous condition ". the same as whip aerials, sharp protrusions, loose bits etc etc.

no law against fitting a spark plug into your exhaust, although if a flame is coming out of the exhaust like a flame thrower it will be an offence under section 40a of the RTA "Using vehicle in dangerous condition ". the same as whip aerials, sharp protrusions, loose bits etc etc.

Just for debate.. 'Whip aerials' are certified modifications sold over the counter... whereas this example is a manufactured possibility not certified.... so i reiterate is it possible if realised by the police that this modification could be considered a 'dangerous concealed weapon' .... If taken to extreme obviously :o

anything can be incorrectly or inappropriately fitted, if an officer thinks a whip aerial could cause danger of injury to a person, then it's reported as an offence, a whip aerial fitted to a roof of a lorry is probably fine, an aerial fitted to a wing of a car, for example on an angled wing allowing it overhang the edge of vehicle and possibly come into contact with other road users or pedestrians would be dangerous.

how can an exhaust flamer be classed as a weapon, ( a weapon when not designed to be used in destroying, defeating, or injuring an enemy (gun, knife, sword etc) is only a weapon when used with intent. for example, a watermelon is not a weapon, but if it is deliberately used to injure, attack or maim, then it becomes a weapon.

anything can be incorrectly or inappropriately fitted, if an officer thinks a whip aerial could cause danger of injury to a person, then it's reported as an offence, a whip aerial fitted to a roof of a lorry is probably fine, an aerial fitted to a wing of a car, for example on an angled wing allowing it overhang the edge of vehicle and possibly come into contact with other road users or pedestrians would be dangerous.

how can an exhaust flamer be classed as a weapon, ( a weapon when not designed to be used in destroying, defeating, or injuring an enemy (gun, knife, sword etc) is only a weapon when used with intent. for example, a watermelon is not a weapon, but if it is deliberately used to injure, attack or maim, then it becomes a weapon.

A flick knife is a spoon until it's opened (extreme example) Purely as a curiosity, potentially a flamer could be considered as dangerous.... Agreed? if realised then the Police could perceive this as a potential weapon..Again agreed? Then i ask again it is possible that the 'flamer' could be considered as a concealed weapon then subject to intent?

This mod doesn't inject fuel into the exhaust, it's simply a spark plug, that when energised, causes any unburned fuel to ignite.

It doesn't have the same effect as a FI engine spitting flames! :wub:

If this only ignites unburnt fuel then it must be a bit of a fart then? I have seen images of 10ft flames thrusting from the exhaust, are these preloaded with Methanol or something.

This mod doesn't inject fuel into the exhaust, it's simply a spark plug, that when energised, causes any unburned fuel to ignite.

It doesn't have the same effect as a FI engine spitting flames! :wub:

If this only ignites unburnt fuel then it must be a bit of a fart then? I have seen images of 10ft flames thrusting from the exhaust, are these preloaded with Methanol or something.

The effect isn't all that good with a flamer kit.........like comparing a bunsen burner with a welding torch.

It's not difficult getting a turbocharged car to spit flames - fit an unrestrictive downpipe, remove the cat and fit a big cat-back. Set the fuelling to run rich, get the motor nice and hot and you have a mobile flamethrower!

a weapon....

Erm excusse me ******* but you really have done it now.....just wait there till i get my car keys, oh, while im gone, can you possition yourself about 2 foot from the exhaust.......oh, you really have **** me off

ok here goes, you asked for it

dont answer back now you *****

flames.jpg

ahha that will teach you........

hmmm, not quite a stealthy quickley drawn weapon

a weapon....

Erm excusse me ******* but you really have done it now.....just wait there till i get my car keys, oh, while im gone, can you possition yourself about 2 foot from the exhaust.......oh, you really have **** me off

ok here goes, you asked for it

dont answer back now you *****

flames.jpg

ahha that will teach you........

hmmm, not quite a stealthy quickley drawn weapon

Reason for the post was ....Could the Police consider the flamer a concealed weapon..... Not if it works or not :wub: What's with all the **** ***** ***** ?

swearing tony, didnt want to post naughty words...it was a joke.

as has been stated its not illegal to have it fitted, but would be frowned upon to be used on the road

Relief...... i thought i was going to get a turret in the post :unsure: .... The image you posted was the point i was trying to portray. The flamer could be abused, so i wondered if plod could act on this with 'intent' I know it may read stupid but any modified car seems to be a magnet for the Police to pull it in.

• 1 month later...
I stil remember going to a "static" Reading meet and some scooby having this kit chucking huge flames, plod pulled him but only asked him to turn it off.

I think the 'turn it off' command was quite generous since the flamer is illegal... Any pictures :lol:

Apparently under WOT gear changes mine flames. A lot. Every trackday at least 2 people come up to me and say "wow, your car spits out 4 foot flames when you change gears down the straights"

I wonder how i could turn that off for Mr Plod :S