MX5 Mk2(NB) Eibach Pro-Kit on standard shocks?

Masher

Hi all,

I'm a newbee to this forum so bare with me! :lol:

I've been the owner of '99 MX-5 Mk2(NB) 1.8i for a little over 2 years now. I've always been happy with the ride/handling but i am looking to sharpen things up and reduce body roll etc. It's on stock suspension at present (ie no Billies etc) and have been looking at installing a set of Eibach (pro-kit) springs in conjunction with the standard shockers, which i believe are in good condition. Well, they've passed the MOT and have no signs of leaks of any kind and i've observed no perculiar behavour while driving hard or soft - they still dampen the car very well. They have covered 60,000 miles mind and have been on the car since it rolled out of the factory, i think... so maybe any slow degredation in performance has not been noticed! I wasn't looking to replace the shocks (cost etc) but if anyone has any opinions i will take these into consideration too.

The drop on Eibachs website suggest a lowering of 25mm - i'm assuming this is on standard shocks? (i'm guessing some uprated shocks have lower platforms?!)

Does anybody foresee any problems with installing these springs on stock shocks? Will the uprated springs be too much for the stock shocks to handle or will they work well? Will the loss of 25mm suspension travel cause fouling on the bump stops or will the increased stiffness of the spring prevent this from happening? Indeed... are they even designed to work with a stock setup or is it recomended to go with uprated shocks too? ...i see they are a recomended upgrade for the NC but it's not clear as to whether this is the same for the older models.

Anyone have this set up? Does it provide a good playoff between ride and handling?

Ohhh, so many questions!

Masher

Any ideas/views would be greatly appreciated guys.

ps as soon as i've got this sorted i'll be paying Tony a visit for a WIM fast road setup!

Providing the coil rate is not much higher then they will be fine on the oem dampers and with that drop of 25/30mm you won't hit the stops, if your worried about that then just change them for polly bump stops from MX5 parts.

Providing the coil rate is not much higher then they will be fine on the oem dampers and with that drop of 25/30mm you won't hit the stops, if your worried about that then just change them for polly bump stops from MX5 parts.

Thanks Tony!

All i can find in reference to the rating on the web is this;

Chassis NB.

Lowering Front/Rear = 25mm/25mm

Axle Load: Front = 655kg Rear = 665kg

Not much help - you'd think the Germans would be anal enough to publish all the specs! I have seen figures of around 30% uprated over stock springs being banded around on other forums. Is this still within acceptable limits?