MX5 mk2/2.5 shocks

ricky53

Hi,

I have a mk1 MX5 and have been offered a set of shocks from a mk2/2.5. Question is, will they fit?

Am I right in saying there are some mods to be made to make them fit? if so what are they, is it worth doing?

Thanks for any advice

Cheers

Ricky

Hello Ricky

The damper stroke and top mounts are different between the MK1+ 2, so it could be a costly route to modify them.

Thanks for the advice Tony, much appreciated.

The search for replacement shocks all started when I mentioned the ride in my mk1 was starting to get quite uncomfortable on anything but a relatively smooth road. Every dip and bump would transmit itself through to the cabin...small potholes would actually jarr. Others have mentioned when following me that the car seemed quite 'bouncy'. OK, it has lowered Tein springs (already on when the car was imported) which can't help I suppose, but I don't know what the shocks are - probably stock originals. The wheels are 16" with 205/45 tyres.

Any thoughts on what shocks could help improve the quality of the ride?

Cheers mate

'ello Ricky 53,

I seem to remember if you use the suspension top mounts you can, or is it using the Mk 2 top mounts to give you more suspension travel on a lowered 5?

You haven't been in Lexie have you? I've Abs Shocks GAZ on, I'll take you for a spin, not literally, at the next meet.

h

'ello Ricky 53,

I seem to remember if you use the suspension top mounts you can, or is it using the Mk 2 top mounts to give you more suspension travel on a lowered 5?

You haven't been in Lexie have you? I've Abs Shocks GAZ on, I'll take you for a spin, not literally, at the next meet.

h

Thanks all for the advice.

At the moment a set of Gaz Gold's are out of my price range (I suppose I could start saving over the winter though for a spring refurb! lol).

Thanks Howard for the offer of a 'spin' in Lexie. Defo take you up on that :P