MX5 Suspension knocks...

Steve-O

Hi All,

I've got a problem thats recently reared its ugly head and its really starting to irritate. I've got a track day coming up this month as well so i am anxious to diagnose and remedy before then if possible :)

I've got the following symptoms on the MX5 :

1)When parked on flat ground with steering lock off - if i waggle the wheel i can hear knocking from the front wheels

2)When going over SMALL imperfections on the road it tends to provoke the knocks. BIG imperfections dont seem to !!?

3)When turning into a road that happens to have a lip/curb (Just like when coming into WIM's estate) that seems to provoke the knocks.

4)Knocks can also occur when mid corner when the car is loaded up.. i.e. on a roundabout with a rough surface.

I had the ARB Droplinks replaced by WIM but its no better unfortunately (one job less however ! :D)...There has been a suggestion that the track rods/ends might be a good one to look at next ? Failing that it could be :

Wheel bearings

Steering rack!!?

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Steve

God knows..... Fact is if you can initiate the knock by moving the steering then we have a good chance of isolating the criminal part, it would be a good idea to book her in.

I agree Tone. Needs some proper investigation really.

Just got to check with the other half and see when she can come along and bring me back to Hemel.. if possible i would be aiming to drop it off to you next week early am with a view of you being able to keep hold of it for a few days (if you need the time for diagnosis/repairs) and pickup pm whenever its ready?

Will be in touch anyway in a day or so !

Cheers

Steve

God knows..... Fact is if you can initiate the knock by moving the steering then we have a good chance of isolating the criminal part, it would be a good idea to book her in.

I agree Tone. Needs some proper investigation really.

Just got to check with the other half and see when she can come along and bring me back to Hemel.. if possible i would be aiming to drop it off to you next week early am with a view of you being able to keep hold of it for a few days (if you need the time for diagnosis/repairs) and pickup pm whenever its ready?

Will be in touch anyway in a day or so !

Cheers

Steve

Ok :D