Mondeo MK4

jalo

Hi All

Does anyone have experience with the Eibach spring offered by Ford. They lower around 30 mm - but I'm wondering what they will do to the CoG and the Roll Point of the car. Since my MK4 is a wagon It's not and never will be a racer, so the desire to lower the car is mostly cosmetic. But obviously I don not want to, in any way, destroy the handling of the car, except, ofcourse, it will be stiffer. What I'm looking for is experience as to wether a lowering of this kind needs excessive readjustment of the car, or is it "plug and play" since the springs come as standart extras in Fords catalouge?

Sincerely

Jannik

-30mm is usually a safe bet before any major issues are encountered. Just be sure to get some decent matched dampners too.

I was secretly hoping that, as with the new mazda mx5-coils WIM just put out, I would not have to worry about new dampers when lowering a moderate 30 mm?

/Jannik

Eibach would know to keep the roll centres/ couple correct.

Normally -30mm is problem free but depending on the mileage the OEM dampers may struggle with the rebound. The difference with our lowering coils is that the MX5 NC is a relatively new car so low mileage.

Normally -30mm is problem free but depending on the mileage the OEM dampers may struggle with the rebound. The difference with our lowering coils is that the MX5 NC is a relatively new car so low mileage.

Yeah unless you're me...I have the 30mm Eibach kit on a MK2 mondeo and got camber wear on one side. Fitted them with new oem front shocks but have not changed the rears yet and they've done 180K miles!! :rolleyes:

Eibach would know to keep the roll centres/ couple correct.

I have 38000 km on my MK4 - I want to do it right or not do it at all - as I said it's mostly for the looks. What kind of mileage should I expect from tje OEM dampers if I decide to lower it? Do you have any suggestions to replacement damper that go with the Eibachs? I know KW makes an adjustable kit for the MK4 Wagon - but I really do not want to go into all the fiddling with getting the ride height axactly the samme in all corners - I'd rather have a fixed height.

/Jannik

Yeah unless you're me...I have the 30mm Eibach kit on a MK2 mondeo and got camber wear on one side. Fitted them with new oem front shocks but have not changed the rears yet and they've done 180K miles!! :rolleyes:

So did the fresh OEM dampers cure the camper problem? Did you have your car measured and adjusted on all possibel angels after the lowering? I'm actally not quite sure how adjustable the mondeo is?

What is your observations regarding the ride after you put the Eibach kit on - and what were your expectations?

Lots of questions I know - and thanks for your time so far...

/Jannik

The Mondeo only has adjustable front/ rear toe, so not every adjustable..... ER fitted front camber/ castor adjusters in order we could recapture some form of decent setup.... Sadly the adjusters were pants, a sort of "make do" setup transpired.

Got to say she looks good though :lol:

Yeah unless you're me...I have the 30mm Eibach kit on a MK2 mondeo and got camber wear on one side. Fitted them with new oem front shocks but have not changed the rears yet and they've done 180K miles!! :D

So did the fresh OEM dampers cure the camper problem? Did you have your car measured and adjusted on all possibel angels after the lowering? I'm actally not quite sure how adjustable the mondeo is?

What is your observations regarding the ride after you put the Eibach kit on - and what were your expectations?

Lots of questions I know - and thanks for your time so far...

/Jannik

I fitted the dampers the same time as the springs so the camber wear I had could possibly have been worse. This is the first car I've lowered but even going 30mm made a BIG difference in how the car handled...it was alot firmer and there was less body roll.

As Tony said I have a camber/castor kit fitted, unfortunately it doesn't seem to work that well on my car. Some other mondeo owners have not had any issues with their kit though so I just got unlucky. Another member on here (Jammy) had a MK1 mondeo, which was lowered 60mm and he had no camber wear at all. End of the day no two cars are the same and one mod might work perfectly on one car but not so well on another.

Got to say she looks good though :lol:

Thanks...alot of hard work has gone into her! :lol:

Wise words on the what works on one doesn't necessarily mean it will work on another.... The grey area on these adjusters is the chassis starting points. One unmodified car (to be modified) maybe more distressed than another.