MX5 MK1 Camber adjustment.

paulrichardson

Hi Guys,

Just found wheels inmotion, and it looks like you guys know what you are talking about.

My question relates to camber adjustment.

I'd like a bit of negative camber on the front of my MK1 MX5 and I thought 5's were supposed to be easy to adjust, but I can't figure it out.

Does anyone have an "Idiots Guide" to Camber adjustment.

Looking forward to your advice.

Regards,

Paul.

Hello Paul

It is easy but first i need to know how your going to measure the camber and what are your intentions for the car... why more camber?

Hi Tony,

Many thanks for your reply.

I hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but I've fitted some new wheels, and the front ones catch a little. I thought if I put on a little negative camber, they would sneak inside the arches and not catch.

My MX5 was lowered when I got it, so I'm not sure how low it is.

I haven't got any way of measuring, I was just going to do the same to both sides.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Paul

Hello Paul

It is easy but first i need to know how your going to measure the camber and what are your intentions for the car... why more camber?

Hi Tony,

Many thanks for your reply.

I hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but I've fitted some new wheels, and the front ones catch a little. I thought if I put on a little negative camber, they would sneak inside the arches and not catch.

My MX5 was lowered when I got it, so I'm not sure how low it is.

I haven't got any way of measuring, I was just going to do the same to both sides.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Paul

Sounds like offset of the wheels isnt quite right - perhaps you could get them machined just a touch so they sit in a bit more...?

OR

Raise the ride height? Does it have adjustable coilovers?

I see..... Well you could open a whole can-O-worms if you blindly move the camber, reason being the move will change the castor and toe angles, plus when on a lock and the cars weight is transitioning it could still hit.

Your better off just having the arches rolled or flared, it only costs £75 for the two.

Just out of interest what size wheels + offset and tyres do you have on the front?

h

Hi there,

My wheels are Keskin KT8 17''x 8'' with 215/45/17 tyres, the Offset is 30 and they "Only Just" catch on big bumps and under heavy braking.

Regards,

Paul

I see..... Well you could open a whole can-O-worms if you blindly move the camber, reason being the move will change the castor and toe angles, plus when on a lock and the cars weight is transitioning it could still hit.

Your better off just having the arches rolled or flared, it only costs £75 for the two.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the info, I certainly don't want to let any worms out the can, so I think I'll keep away from camber adjustment.

My Arches (front and back) have already been rolled, but I've not heard of "Flaring", sounds like it might be a good idea.

How does it work, and how much clearance am I likely to gain, Also can it be done all round, so everything matches?

Regards,

Paul

Sounds like offset of the wheels isnt quite right - perhaps you could get them machined just a touch so they sit in a bit more...?

OR

Raise the ride height? Does it have adjustable coilovers?

Hi there,

I think the Offset is 10mm out, my wheels are 30 Offset and I think it should be 40 (please correct me if I'm wrong), but they do sit in the Arches very nice.

I would have no idea were to get Wheel Machining carried out (I live just outside Bristol) or how much it might cost, but it sounds expensive.

I don't have adjustable height at the moment, but I have just seen these on ebay:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/89-02-Mazda-MX5-Miat...=item1c0b9cff22

They might be a solution I could consider.

Regards,

Paul