Help With MX5

Phil S

Hi

I have just bought a 2003 Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 1.8 Sport privately with 24,000 miles and having read numerous forums which say the MX5 is susceptable to alignment issues and all recomend WIM as the experts in MX5 ride matters. Since I've had it I have driven the car about 200 miles on various roads. These are my findings which I hope someone can help with.

The car seems fine on smooth roads at all speeds but on uneven/bumpy roads it seems I have to correct the steering a lot of the time.

The Steering wheel is straight. The car does not seem to pull to the left or right on smooth roads. No wheel wobble.

The front tyres are Bridgestone 205/45 R16 83W which will need replacing soon and are showing more wear on the outside edges.

The rears have been replaced by the previous owner and are fairly new Infinity 205/45 R16 87W. How good these tyres are I don't know.

Does it matter that the front and rear tyres are different load ratings? How good are Infinity's? Should I have these put on the front or go for the Bridgestones again, or something different.

In view of the uneven front tyre wear and my perception of wander on bumpy roads I assume the car needs an alignment check?

What would you suggest? How much would an alignment check cost?

I have also checked the ride height which seems to concern a number of people:

Front NS = 350

Front OS = 352

Rear NS = 370

Rear OS = 365

I do not wish to track the car just want to get the ride capabilities correct for ordinary (sometimes brisk) road driving when I buy new front tyres.

Bit of a newbie with this car so any comments/advice would be helpful and thanks in advance.

Hello Phil

For the mileage i wouldn't expect the coils to sag so the disparities you display in trim height suggests the calibration is wrong, hence the variation in trim height.

I've never heard of Infinity tyres but this isn't a real concern nore is the load rating because the 5 is so light. Have the chassis set to a fast-road setup and enjoy.

Thanks Tony

I have found out a bit more info about Infinity tyres. They seem to be of African origin and I have read a few posts elsewhere that they are not at all good in the wet. I have also read on the MX5 forums that it is not a good idea to mix tyres on 5s but to have all 4 the same. Do you agree?

I am therefore fast coming to the fact that I should have 4 new tyres of a decent brand. Some that have been mentioned as the best for MX5s are:

Toyo T1R (usually slightly cheaper than the other two)

Goodyear Eagle FI

and the OE Bridgestone Turanza

Could you or anyone recomend the best for the MX5?

This makes it even more important to get the alignment checked properly so they don't wear unevenly like my fronts.

WIM is the wrong side of London for me but it seems the most reliable option, unless you can recomend some where nearer to East London.

So 4 decent tyres (recomended for MX5) and a full alignment and adjustments if necessary. What am I looking at in cost (no prices on the website).

When is the best time during the week to visit. (I can do anytime) Do I book?

In an ideal world the tyres should be recognized brands and approved by millions of people, fact is some unknown brands perform very well so i'm slow to belittle a make of tyre i don't know.

Saying that the Toyo is a "fire and forget" make of tyre that ticks all the boxes most of the time, so i would gladly recommend them... Prices for these i can get Monday.

A full Geometry calibration on your car is £95+ vat and this is to whatever platform you want albeit road/ fast road/ track/ drift or whatever. You do need to book and i'm sorry to say i don't have another trusted centre around London.

Thanks

I'd appreciate the prices on 4 of those tyres.

Are the tyres fitted before the alignment check or after?

I assume I just phone to book?

You can book here or phone or email......

The tyres condition cannot influence the Geometry readings or the outcome and since i want the suspension totally rested i prefer to calibrate the chassis before the tyres are fitted. Just to put your mind at rest, if i wanted i can calibrate the chassis without the wheels even on the car :)

• 1 month later...

Phil S - I own a 1999 MK2 MX5 which has been slightly modified (well more than slightly) and after I had the suspension done I've been taking it to Tony ever since, his fast road settings are very good, I'm really due a checkup very soon.

Get a set of Toyos on it as well or a set Goodyear F1s although they are becoming very rare at the mo.

Sorry for the plug - have you popped along to http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum - if not please pop along soon.