Honda S2000 Geometry Advice

Anees

Hi guys,

I am hoping for some some advice please.

My 2005 Honda S2000 is not quite happy at the moment. The rear end of the car feels like it is skipping over uneven surfaces. I posted this question on the owners club and instantly the response was that I have too much rear Toe on one wheel. I went out to check and they are right!! The rear passenger side wheel is toeing in more, where as the drivers side wheel is more straight.

I must have hit a pot hole or something to wack the setitngs out. Now my car is stock (with standard 17" wheels) with the exception of the soon to arrive:

Front Cusco Style Brace (Under car)

Front Strut Brace - more for looks really!

Rear under chassis brace.

Now what do I do geometry wise?

I have read about Honda Optimum settings, CoG Fast Road Settings, Standard Honda 99- 01 settings, Honda 04+ settings......... I am :D :unsure: :D

Normally I'd just stick with the standard settings on the Hunter Geometry machine BUT I read a post by Tony on the S2ki Club saying the standard Honda settings were "pants". The CoG Fast Road Settings appear to be well regarded but I don't know much about them.

I would just like some clear guidance on which way to go??

I want a car that feels planted at speed and has a good sharp turn in with responsive steering and the backend won't let go!!

Thanks,

Anees :D

Hello Buddy - also from the forums but Tony looked after my old Scoob on the Geo side. Now I also have got an S2K and want to get the Geo checked on it as I am sure its probably never been done!

Evident by the back side trying to overtake me leaving work last night :D

Will be interested to see what settings you get done and how it pans out after wards

Tony - Ill be in touch to get the new car checked and adjusted as required :unsure:

Nah they aren't that bad. I thought it handled pretty good out of the box, didn't you think so as well rich?!? :o

but

It could do with being tamer. The rear kicking out was quite catchable :lol:

Nah they aren't that bad. I thought it handled pretty good out of the box, didn't you think so as well rich?!? :o

but

It could do with being tamer. The rear kicking out was quite catchable :huh:

Yeah I have to admit it does handle well and to get the rear out you'd have to be giving it some! :lol:

You gonna get the Cusco brace for yours?

The problems with the S2000 is a combination of the suspension the geometry amongst other things like the chassis flex, the rear toe gain on acceleration and, and, and........

They are a car that like to be braced, sprung and unsprung, if you can get her on coilovers the higher rate and tunable bump/ rebound is a blessing in order to maintain some dynamics then it's geo time.

The Geometric revisions offered by Honda are wrong in my opinion, there nothing more than a dramatic attempt to control the chassis habits... A degree total toe in on a domestic vehicle is clutching at straws.

Actual positions would be born from the modifications, the tyres and the Geometric tendency's measured when the car is on the rig, from the information gathered we could set the chassis and make the rear contact patch as less busy as possible.

I am going on the LOC Nurburgring trip on the 23rd July so obviously I need the car "right" before then. With what I hear about the s2000 I think its probably best if I make the effort to get down to WIM (3h 30mins away) so that I am sure the car car is setup as best as possible before the trip :o

I am going on the LOC Nurburgring trip on the 23rd July so obviously I need the car "right" before then. With what I hear about the s2000 I think its probably best if I make the effort to get down to WIM (3h 30mins away) so that I am sure the car car is setup as best as possible before the trip :o

Do it... I gather our own data from research cars covering domestic/ race/ track/ drift/ drag, no two cars are set the same unless the owner wants "Honda's" settings, every car should be tuned to suit the owner, it's modifications and or it's intentions.

• 2 weeks later...
See you tomorrow Tony. I'll be aiming to get to your place by 9.30 - 10am B)

Ok mate...... I take it you are booked in?

Yes....... you booked me in on the 8th July for tommorow (20th) at 10ish. ;) We did it via PM :o

Hi Tony,

Hope you are well.

Carrying on from my thread about the Honda S2000 geometry I will make some time to come and see you. I finish work next week on the 17th July and I am off to the LOC Nurburgring trip on the 23rd July so could you please book me in for Monday 20th July?

I am not sure which time is best, but it will take me around 3.5 hours to get to you so I was thinking maybe if I setoff at 6am I should get to you by 9 - 10am depending on traffic.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Anees B)

Let's go for it 10am'ish on the 20th :)

YAY! Sounds good.

My front braces, rear brace should all have arrived and been fitted by then so will be a good time to setup geometry :o

Can't believe I actually get to see the master at work! ;)

I'll have me hair cut and clean shaven :)

Setting off shortly :D

Have a safe trip mate although you won't read this till you're back! :)

All sorted, she wasn't happy to say the least but she's on the way to the ring now shoes on and ready to dance :(

So what did you do, a custom setup?

All sorted, she wasn't happy to say the least but she's on the way to the ring now shoes on and ready to dance :(

So what did you do, a custom setup?

Yep.... there was some adjuster issues from previous work done but all in all i got what i wanted for the chassis.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to thank Tony for his great work today. It was great to finally properly talk to some one I have "known" (online) for over 5 years! I did meet Tony at the LOC WIM meet but that was only brief.

It was great to see the master at work and I quite enjoyed the trip too - some patches of decent weather meant I could have the roof down and Chesham has some nice roads but I was under orders to take it easy so I did! :)

Tony applied a custom setup and the car is behaving exactly like he predicted so far. Steering is a touch lighter but more responsive at lower speeds yet planted and stable at higher speeds. The backend jumpiness/looseness where the car would skip over bumps is far better too. I've not really pushed the car into any bends yet since I am taking it easy and learning how the "new car" behaves.

Cheers Tony............ :(

Anees

Thanks mate :(

It was a decent trip. Went on the M6 Toll when arriving and followed the M1 all the way when coming back. M1 was pretty busy on the way back with laods of roadworks but not too bad overall. ;)

Nice one Anees, i was lovely to finally have a chance to talk, it's amazing we have known each other for years and years online through the various clubs but never really spoken in real life.

As i explained the car is set very safe without compromising tyre life but!! it's a delicate line with the S2000 so you take some time and get a feel of the car before you turn nutter at the ring :(

Thanks mate ;)

It was a decent trip. Went on the M6 Toll when arriving and followed the M1 all the way when coming back. M1 was pretty busy on the way back with laods of roadworks but not too bad overall. :)

I can't stand the M1!! :)

Hope you didn't get stuck in the roadworks by me on the M25 (J19-J18) and didn't speed up once you passed the 'average' speed cameras...amazing how many drivers still don't get that! :(

Nice one Anees, i was lovely to finally have a chance to talk, it's amazing we have known each other for years and years online through the various clubs but never really spoken in real life.

That is so true...........at least I know your a real person now and not a figment of my imagination. :huh: LOL

PS I doubt I'll be going nutter at the Ring........but never say never......I might enjoy it!