S2000 Brake Upgrade

Dropped my car off at WIM today with Tony.

Totally trashed my discs and pads when i was chasing a 911 at Bedford (see the car videos sub forum !) so I decided I'd get some new ones. (Tony, if you wanted to take pictures of them and show the heat damage I'm sure some people would like a peek !)

I've gone for DBA 4000 front discs - http://www.dba.com.au/4000series/default.asp

Ferrodo DS2500 front and rear pads http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/gui...rake-pads.mhtml

and just boggo OEM rear vented discs.

I'm also using Motul RBF 600 racing Dot 4 Brake Fluid - http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-894-motul-rbf-...rake-fluid.aspx

This is seen as one of the best upgrades you can do on the S2K other than Dixcel brakes or going BBK.

Fingers crossed we should see a nice improvement on the track !

Tony, only link I could find for the pads was that supplier, will take it off if its an issue !

• 2 weeks later...
I would have thought DOT5.1 would be a handy upgrade ?

This stuff is the absolute business. Have a read of the Opie oils site on the issue... it exceeds 5.1 standards :lol:

Yes it is, but it absorbs water pretty quickly so needs changing often, I have read as little as 4-6 months, also needs changing if you boil it. Good for track-days though.

5.1 is a good compromise, and you shouldn't manage to boil it on the road in anything other than exceptional circumstances.

What do you think of the ds2500's? just put these and some braided lines on my civic, they just bite harder and harder the hotter they get. Very impressed.

• 9 months later...

Hi Conanius,

Now you have had this set up for a while, what are your thoughts? Just had my car serviced today and need new front disks/pads and possibly rear pads. Worth while upgrade? Do the ferodo's muller the disks? Doubt I will do as much track action as you but certainly will go a couple of times a year. :)

I could have been incredibly unlucky, but I have had no joy with this at all.

4000 miles and the discs and pads are ruined. Stock Honda items have lasted much better infact.

I managed 1 trackday, and quite literally on the 2nd corner of the warmup lap I had bad vibration. This got steadily worse as the day went on and got to the point whereby it just became undriveable.

As such, I've just put 'standard' steel discs on there (Brakes International, S2KUK sponsor) and I'll swap out the pads for some sort of EBC compound when I get 5 minutes. Probably yellowstuff, maybe redstuff.

Personally I'd stay stock, and use RBF600 brake fluid and get the 'lower brake master cylinder brace' and maybe if your feeling flush some braided lines (bare in mind stock S2000 kit is already fibre reinforced)

So... I'd not recommend any part of the setup i'm afraid.

Blimey that isn't good. Did you send them back??

Are the Brakes Int disks any better? I cant get over how cheap they are compared to the Honda replacements.

So perhaps standard Honda pads and BI disks with a fluid change...?

I found at Bedford after the long straight (just tapped 130mph down it :angry:) the 4th time my brakes were applied hard there was nothing there so pulled straight into the pits. Left it 20 minutes and went back out, all was good again for another few laps so I am guessing this was the fluid over cooking and not the parts as they worked as expected again straight after?