GolfV / Leon Tfsi Tyre choice

jcp

Good evening everyone,

I have a LeonFr- 197 bhp Tfsi with Dsg gearbox and am gradually making it suit me-I have Eibach Pro-kit springs which work well providing a good cosmetic lowering and significantly better ride quality than the o/e springs, I have just fitted Koni Fsd shocks- as yet untested but with the aim of making the ride quality a little more fluid. The Fr is a bit of a stiff and crashy old hector as standard with good road holding but a busy and tiresome ride. The car runs on 225/45/17s- presently Bridgestone RE 050s which provide plenty of grip and a slightly noisy ride.

What tyres would provide a good and not too noisy next step- I do not expect to run out of grip but would like some more refinement. Looks matter too!

No, hoping the improvement effected by the Eibachs- significantly better than o/e- will be reinforced by the Konis- a reputedly smoother damper than the originals. Tyres afaik can be hoped to reduce noise and make a contribution to fine detail of ride but only in the narrow sense. I found on the peugeot that the big improvement was Eibachs and shocks but that 16" rims and T1rs - as opposed to 17"s and Falkens-further reinforce the prime changes. This is purely empirical and hit and miss stuff but I would not want to fit an extremely stiff or noisy tyre- I have heard well of GSD3s and assymetrics and it seems I may be on the right track.

Can you do gsd 3s and if so what is the price?

No, hoping the improvement effected by the Eibachs- significantly better than o/e- will be reinforced by the Konis- a reputedly smoother damper than the originals. Tyres afaik can be hoped to reduce noise and make a contribution to fine detail of ride but only in the narrow sense. I found on the peugeot that the big improvement was Eibachs and shocks but that 16" rims and T1rs - as opposed to 17"s and Falkens-further reinforce the prime changes. This is purely empirical and hit and miss stuff but I would not want to fit an extremely stiff or noisy tyre- I have heard well of GSD3s and assymetrics and it seems I may be on the right track.

Can you do gsd 3s and if so what is the price?

the gsd3 in your size is around at the moment and is £105inc vat i will need just a days notice to get stock unless the weekend gets in the way

Tony

"Are you trying to do this> quote "ride quality a little more fluid" through the tyres?"

The Konis are fitted and have had a good effect. I have only had the chance to try them on greasy back lanes and broken urban surfaces so far but the whole feel of the car is better- smoother and much less crashy and uncomfortable. I would welcome your thoughts on possible ARB changes as now the ride is much improved I need to consider whether any loss of stiffness can be replaced by more control.

IMG_0801-1.jpg

;)