Same name different tyre?

markj

Hi

The choice of tyre to fit my LS430 became too much for me so I decided to stick the tyres fitted as standard 245/45/18W Bridgestone ER33

When I asked for a quote for an ER33 from my local tyre fitting centre I was asked which version I wanted as there were four different types.

A 245/45/18 W 96 version, a 245/45/18 W 96 DZ version, a 245/45/18 W 96 JZ version and a 245/45/18 BST W 96 JZ version.

When I told him I did not know he asked what make of car it was for I was then told that there was a forth version 245/45/18 W 96 JZ (Lexus) version.

Can anyone shed some light on these different versions of the same tyre I believe that JZ and DZ indicate country of manufacture Japan and Germany,

But this does not explain the Lexus specific one or the £70.00 price difference across the four tyres.

Of course the Lexus one was the most expensive. The price is not really the issue I just want to make sure that the correct version is fitted to the car.

My spare tyre is marked 245/45/18 W JZ but no indication of BST or that it is specific to Lexus.

All advice appreciated.

Mark J

Example:

185 65 R 13 91 V

185 :- Section width

65 :- Aspect ratio

R :- Radial

13 :- Rim diameter

91 :- load rating

V :-speed rating.

and the extra letter on the end is tyre compound marking.

Not usre on the speed rating why you have D, J and W

M = 130km/h or 81 mph

N = 140km/h or 87 mph

P = 150km/h or 93 mph

Q = 160km/h or 99 mph

R = 170km/h or 106 mph

S = 180km/h or 112 mph

T = 190km/h or 118 mph

U = 200km/h or 124 mph

H = 210km/h or 130 mph

V = 240km/h or 149 mph

W = 270km/h or 168 mph

Y = 300km/h or 186 mph

Z = in excess of 240klm or 149 mph

If the guy at the tyre doesn't understand it then I'd go somewhere else;)

The JZ can be the initial compound or a difference in the construction like an extra ply in the sidewall... The ER33 is the tread patten.

I was involved in a case some years back when a main dealer fitted the wrong compound which contributed to the car crashing. The dealer was forced to replace the car :lol:

The tyres are all the same size, speed and load rating.

245 wide

45 aspect ratio

18" rim

96 load rating

and W speed rating

It is down to the difference between the JZ, JZ Lexus, BST JZ and the DZ notations.

These are the notations as shown on the computer screen when he searched for Bridgestone 245/45/18 ER33 tyres.

He has stated that he has never fitted one to a Lexus as its not that common and that most people just pick the cheapest one.

I have ordered the one listed for lexus, i was only curious as to the different versions of the same tyre.

if it is a compound difference its not listed on the bridgestone website, here or in the US they only list the ER33 and a runflat version which was listed as ER33 RFT.

Mark J

It must be the compound then..... Continental do the same thing. They make big fat tyres for the Merc and porscha, identical tread but ones a N1 compound and ones a MO compound, the N1 start compound is like pencil rubber.

Bridgestone don't seem to publish much information on this.

if its down to the customer to pick which one they want from a list on screen, and the person on the

other side of the counter can't tell you the difference between versions, except price and "that one has Lexus on it" so it must be the one for your car.

a lot of people replace like for like tyres on the car if it's been a good one.

It make you wonder how many people may have the same name tyre as their previous one but a different construction or rubber compound.

Markj

It's down to the centre to tell the customer in my opinion, the information is widely available to the tyre industry.

I often have car booked in with handling issues only to find it's the tyres to blame.

..a lot of people replace like for like tyres on the car if it's been a good one.

It make you wonder how many people may have the same name tyre as their previous one but a different construction or rubber compound.

Markj

Yeah that's an interesting point.

It's down to the centre to tell the customer in my opinion, the information is widely available to the tyre industry.

I often have car booked in with handling issues only to find it's the tyres to blame.

I've never seen nor heard of any compund specific info. Be funny, something else I could use to peck the heads of my fellow fitters. :(

A few examples from Black circles webby>

215/45 R17 W (87)

£95.07 Add to basket

View Details

Goodyear Excellence (Mercedes)

Customer Rating: View Full Rating

215/45 R17 W (87)

£111.40 Add to basket

View Details

Bridgestone RE050A (Subaru)

215/45 R17 Y (91)

£115.90 Add to basket

View Details

Bridgestone RE040 (Lexus)

215/45 R17 W (91)

£118.44 Add to basket

View Details

Bridgestone ER30 (Toyota)

215/45 R17 W (87)

£119.06 Add to basket

View Details

Continental Sport Contact 2 (Mercedes)

215/45 R17 V (91)Reinforced

£161.25 Add to basket

View Details

Bridgestone RE050 (Mercedes)

• 2 weeks later...

I think at last count there were about 8 different constructions of the GSD3. These have been tweaked for many car manufacturers to suit the vehicles, so there are some quite different feeling tyres running under the same brand.

I've been moaning at the manufacturers for a while now to try and clear this up, make it more obvious so when we're buying tyres in the replacement market we know what we're getting.

I can't see why they can't just write "Porsche" etc on the tyre somewhere to avoid the ambiguity...

Problem is jon it would have to read "Mercadies C-class, E-class, SLK but not 203 or sport or S500 coupe or 4 matic with actice yaw control"...... the sidewall would be a book.

Well at least have a vehicle code with an easy to reference database online! People are putting the GSD3's they designed for the fiat panda on jap modified cars and wondering why they're not as good as most people make out!!

Problem is jon it would have to read "Mercadies C-class, E-class, SLK but not 203 or sport or S500 coupe or 4 matic with actice yaw control"...... the sidewall would be a book.

Well at least have a vehicle code with an easy to reference database online! People are putting the GSD3's they designed for the fiat panda on jap modified cars and wondering why they're not as good as most people make out!!

Agreed, but difficult to police.... I think if we hone into the area that fails it would be the tyre trade it's self, the customer shouldn't be expected to understand what compound/ silica code to ask for.

Agreed, but difficult to police.... I think if we hone into the area that fails it would be the tyre trade it's self, the customer shouldn't be expected to understand what compound/ silica code to ask for.

Agreed. But the customers also shouldn't be going out buying a GSD3 because people are raving about then, ending up with one designed for a Fiat Panda with less grip, then left wondering just what their mates were talking about!

I think we should change the world tony :D