Fifth Gear Tyre Feature

juzzyp

I wish I had the video but Fifth Gear did a small bit on tyres last.

They got hold of a VW Polo (no ABS, extra safety) just the presenter (tosspot Tim Shaw) would control the braking. They then brought some Continentals (premium) Fuldas? (budget) part worns (super budget) and carried out some breaking tests on a wet surface from 70mph.

He'd then proceed to drive at 70mph and brake at a certain point and of course there was an obstacle which was a fruit stall.

They carried out the test a numerous number of times and found from the same point nothing we didn't know already.

Contis stopped furthest away, Fuldas coming in second, with the part worns litterally touching the fruit stall.

Not too convinced as it is TV and I know things can be edited and prepped for camera.

What do you reckon or did anyone see it?

• 1 month later...

I was invited to a tyre launch in the south of france a while back. It was the launch of the goodyear optigrip. Goodyear have optimised this tyre so as the tread wears down the tyre keeps it's wet weather handling (they've actually been quite clever with dual compound and clever treadblock design, anyway)

A number of the tests focused on worn optigrips vs either worn contis or worn michelins. The difference was night and day, especially the curved aquaplaning tests where you'd drift around 1m with the Goodyear and well over 3 metres with the other brand. Very impressive.