Geo as a Career ?

CIH

This is probably directed towards wim but I suppose anyone who runs a garage could answer.

I'm enjoing the Hunters more than ever since I joined here and could happily do it allday. As is, I probably do about 12 a week (give or take).

So, I'm wondering is there a big enough market to do this full time ? As far as i'm aware, there are around 6 such garages with this kit in the North West so there can't be that many people who can use it properly.

If so, what would you guys look for in, I dunno, a "Geo. Tech" ? ie, what kind of experience/qualifications etc ?

Or is it like ours where it's just one number of many jobs depending on what comes through the door ?

I really hate fast-fit. Save for one or two I'm surrounded by chancers and idiots plus the money is exceptionally poor.

I'd like to think my experience with our Hunter can be my ticket out of the place.

Any thoughts, opinions etc appreciated. :(

I'm going to answer your question with a question?

You have a stock fully OEM adjustable MX5 on the rig that has inside front tyre wear, you have measured the car and it's chassis is well within the manufacturers limits.... What do you do?

Well I've sat down and thought about this. If it's un-modified then I'm inclined not to deviate from Mazda's specified settings.

First, ask customer of any unusual behaviour, noise etc. I would check the tyres to ensure correct size/fitment/pressures/DOT Codes to indicate tyre age. .Check for excessive play and/or damage in suspension and steering ie; broken springs, bent arms, cracks in wishbones, subframes, leaks in power steering components etc.

Check wheel balancing to ensure wheel/tyres are not out of shape, buckled etc. Test drive and look for any unusual behaviour or noise. In that order, assuming I hadn't found anything that would indicate the cause of the wear.

Could probably adjust the suspension to try and eliminate any tolerance but I'm not confident that would achieve anything. :(

Other than that, honestly, I don't know.

That's a surgical reply and you did cover every field but the one you missed was looking "outside" of the box!

The data offered by all manufacturers are "suggestions" not law... They cannot cover every owner in every example in every environment.

We have a theoretical MX5 with actual tyre wear and the measured data said "all's well" but it's not!

Looking "outside" of the box is a brave thing to do but a simple solution since the problem is in your face, be confident to recognize the problem and adapt.

Every Geometry, modified car or not is unique :(

Ooop's i didn't answer the original question?

In fast fit the training tends to be in house and passed from the most knowledgeable tech down.... This is fine assuming the tech 1 knows what he's talking about.

Invariably this becomes distilled and it all goes to pot.

There's a distinct difference between "qualified" and "able" in chassis dynamics.... I read time and time again people arguing about the math but actual hands on they would be lost.

For me the deciding factor is questions and disagreeing logic, this displays awareness and an intuitive attitude.

That's a surgical reply and you did cover every field but the one you missed was looking "outside" of the box!

The data offered by all manufacturers are "suggestions" not law... They cannot cover every owner in every example in every environment.

We have a theoretical MX5 with actual tyre wear and the measured data said "all's well" but it's not!

Looking "outside" of the box is a brave thing to do but a simple solution since the problem is in your face, be confident to recognize the problem and adapt.

Every Geometry, modified car or not is unique :rolleyes:

Interesting reading !

Tony, in your example (ignoring manufacturers recommendations) what would make you diagnose if there was much toe out compared to too large a negative camber? Would you be 'reading' the tyre wear pattern? Would you take it that if the wear is evenly flat across the tyre it would more likely be the camber?

NickT

Every Geometry, modified car or not is unique :rolleyes:

Interesting reading !

Tony, in your example (ignoring manufacturers recommendations) what would make you diagnose if there was much toe out compared to too large a negative camber? Would you be 'reading' the tyre wear pattern? Would you take it that if the wear is evenly flat across the tyre it would more likely be the camber?

NickT

Yes the actual data and the pattern of wear.

Wouldn't a report showing deviances from OEM spec give the wrong impression to the customer ?

Though, I imagine a competent tech should be able to explain such changes to a customer ?

If the OEM spec were correct you wouldn't have the customer?

Wouldn't a report showing deviances from OEM spec give the wrong impression to the customer ?

Though, I imagine a competent tech should be able to explain such changes to a customer ?

If the OEM spec were correct you wouldn't have the customer?

No I mean if we were playing out our standard MX5 scenario and I advised settings that were not to Manufacturer's spec that could give the wrong impression ?

But then if I were competent enough to make such changes I should be able to give the customer the confidence such changes were for the best yes ? :huh:

I always try to talk people through the report as ~£80 for "wheel alignment" is a lot to your average fast-fit customer.

Back on topic... (finally)

Can you make a career from Geometry.... Well look around.

wim-web..... wim-forum.... wim centre.... There is a definite future for the select few but you will need to be passionate in your intentions.

Back on topic... (finally)

Can you make a career from Geometry.... Well look around.

wim-web..... wim-forum.... wim centre.... There is a definite future for the select few but you will need to be passionate in your intentions.

this i agree with ..it all depends how passionate you are and how much you are willing to push!! as well as a certain amount of luck!..best of luck